Rotting Vegetable Soup

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I thank Floppybootstomp for the inspiration and Nivrip for the name, I bring you.

Rotting Vegetable Soup

First, here are some suggestions that will help you to determine if the vegetables are
suitable for inclusion.

Lettuce/Greens/Cabbage
Semi wilted greens can be refreshed by submerging in ice water for 5-10 minutes followed by a thorough spin dry. Heads of lettuce that appear rotten can be salvaged by removing several outer leaves and cutting away any bruised parts. A way to make any precut lettuce taste fresher again is to pick out any pieces of less than ideal lettuce and submerge in ice water for 5-10 minutes, and then spinning dry.

Carrots
Bruised or damaged carrots can be salvaged by peeling away the external skin/layers, and removing any rotten pieces with a paring knife. Help keep peeled or cut carrots fresh by covering them with ice water in the refrigerator. Carrots that are becoming soft or ‘floppy’ can easily be peeled and used for things such as soups.

Celery
Wilted or slightly discolored celery can be revived by a 10-15 minute soak in ice water, followed by paring away any wilted or slightly rotten parts. Help keep celery fresh by covering it with ice water in the refrigerator. Celery may also be simply peeled with a vegetable peeler if the surface of the vegetable looks pitted or is discoloring.

Onions
Onions sprouting green tops are still safe to eat, simply remove the green sprouts and peel as usual. If there are layers of onion that are bruised or rotten, peel them away until you get down to fresh pieces.

Cucumbers
Peel or cut away any damaged flesh, and serve as usual. Slightly overripe cucumbers can be bitter, but scooping out the seeds with a spoon before using helps reduce this. Many times the skin of the cucumber is undesirable, but the inside flesh is perfectly fine, in this case simply peel the cucumber.

Zucchini/Squash
Peel or cut away any damaged flesh and serve as usual. Slightly overripe squash are best
served cooked, in a sauce or a stew for example. Zucchini and most types of squash can fairly easily be peeled. Try to keep zucchini dry while it is being stored.

Green Beans
Salvage less than ideal green beans by removing any that are soft to the touch, or slimy. Wash the remainder under lots of cold running water. Briefly cooking overripe green beans can be a way to enhance their flavor. Laying out green beans on a parchment/paper towel covered sheet pan during storage is an easy way to increase their shelf life.

Corn
Corn with dry, browned, or slightly slimy outer husks are frequently still good once the husk is removed. Be sure to thoroughly remove all of the husk and the thin corn silk strands on the inside, and prepare as usual. Do not roast corn with slimy husks. Do not use corn with obvious mold or rot on the corn itself. If the edible portion of the corn is slimy or the majority is black or molded, throw it away.

Potatoes
Bruised or damaged potatoes can be salvaged by peeling away the external skin/layers, and removing any rotten pieces with a paring knife. If potatoes are sprouting, they can be easily peeled and cleaned with a paring knife. Keep potatoes dry during storage.

Potatoes can be stored refrigerated or at room temperature. Most often, potatoes that look poor on the outside are perfectly fine on the inside. Potatoes have a long shelf life. Potatoes that appear spoiled or moldy are often just ‘dirty’ and need to be washed before using.

Please add your favorite recipe below. :)

Reaction score
Gordon's Gin, some half decent tonic water, slice of lemon and some ice in a tumbler.:thumb:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
N.B. Green cucumber good. Green potatoes no good.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I had some of my minestrone today - and realised I'd forgotten to add the usual two tims of chopped plum tomatoes. This omission made it taste more like a thin stew than a soup. Still nice though.

I looked at a few online recipes for minestrone soups and I noticed Jamie Oliver's recipe called for a 'tin of garbanzo'. I couldn't find this item anywhere so I looked it up and found out Garbanzo are in fact chick peas. Hmm. I suppose you could add any sort of beans, tinned or cooked from dried, to the mix.

Ask a Question