Rolling back app installation if CF sp2 not installed

G

Hi!
After trying to understand how to include processor-specific netcf cab files and not making much progress, we decided to include the redistributable from Microsoft to install the appropriate cab file. We plan to include that on the same CD as our app but not in the app installer.

Now, we want to detect whether CF sp2 has been installed on the device before installing our app and rollback if sp2 isn't present, informing the user what to do. How should this be done? Should the Before_Install event handler have something in it? Should we be detecting it from the Desktop itself?

Any ideas/suggestions will help a lot.
Thanks for your time,
Kumar

G

The version information for the compact framework can be obtained programatically by using the following piece of code:

System.Environment.Version.ToString();

On the other hand u can also get this information by navigating to the windows folder on the device and running the CGACUTIL utility. it will display the version information in a message box.

Hope this helps

Ali Gardezi

G

Thank you Ali for responding( for an earlier post too). I was able to get the version information without much problem but I want to use that and then rollback the installation, if it doesnot fulfill the criteria. That's where I need help and would like to make some progress.

Regards,
Kumar

M

Mike

Why not just install SP2 and be done with it? Also, it's included in all
new devices.

Raj Kumar said:
Thank you Ali for responding( for an earlier post too). I was able to get
the version information without much problem but I want to use that and then
rollback the installation, if it doesnot fulfill the criteria. That's where
I need help and would like to make some progress.
Regards,
Kumar
windows folder on the device and running the CGACUTIL utility. it will
display the version information in a message box.

Ask a Question