Roll Back to XP

I'm a computer expert whom been waiting badly for the long waiting Microsoft
Vista, and after all this time, I got the shock of my life when I have
purchased and experienced vista.
As a computer and technology expert, I will loudly say Vista is the biggest
mistake I have ever done in my life, my comments about it is simply:
1. Slow down your machine "Kill your computer performance to do basic
activities"
2. Huge problems in compatibility with other required applications "if you
feel like paying thousands for compatibility just try Vista" I have changed
the Antivirus solution, I had to upgrade my Adobe graphical pack as it
created many problems with the stability of my laptop.
3. Network problem : I don’t know why the network sometimes get completely
vanished for no reasons, even if you reboot and it’s not a hardware problem,,
it’s purely a software problem, as i have already diagnosed it.
4. The Biggest Mistake "IE7" i have already done with trying to solve the
problems that IE7 has generated and i teached myself to work on FireFox as
Microsoft Team failed to answer my queries or solve any problem I have
reported to them earlier.
5. Start Menu: I don’t know who told Microsoft that the current vista start
menu is good, but actually it’s not, it’s not useful and it’s hard to know
the software’s you have before of the size of menu in All Programs, I don’t
need to explain it more because I know that many are facing my problem, and
we even forgot what is the applications installed on our computers.
6. Continuous Illegal operation for explorer.exe : is this sounds familiar ?

So whets good about Microsoft Vista ?

We have to give it for Microsoft for developing a nice graphical interface,
that it.

What’s my suggestion and request :

I need to roll back to Windows XP Professional, I still am a big believer in
that operation system, in spite what every person has said about it, I
believe that it’s a great operating system, however people needs to know the
details of it, and it will be a great secure operating system with excellent
performance comparing to Vista.

Please send me the manual how to roll back my Laptop from Windows Vista to
XP professional keeping into consideration that I’m having a preloaded vista
on my laptop.

Thanks

Michel

peter

The only way to "roll back" is to purchase a copy of XP pro and format the
HD during the install.
Be aware that this will void your Laptop warranty....that you will need to
check the manufacturers website for XP drivers...and the recovery partition
will still revert you to Vista when used.
I can only say that it seems you did not do your due diligence before
purchasing a new Laptop with Vista.Most people check out the compatibility
of their hardware/software before spending big bucks on a new system with a
new OS.
peter

Rick Rogers

Hi Michel,

To rollback to XP you need a copy of it with a Product Key. As Vista was
preinstalled, you need to contact the system manufacturer to see what, if
any, your downgrade options are. If they don't offer one, then you will need
a retail product and must also ensure that the manufacturer at least offers
supporting drivers to download for your system.

As to your other comments,

1. Vista has higher resource and higher requirements than XP. On the same
hardware, obviously XP will be faster. All versions of Windows have had
higher resource requirements than their predecessors, it should be expected.
Part of the design is to concentrate on using the capabilities of newer
hardware. On good hardware, my Vista installations move faster than XP ever
did.

2. You're blaming Microsoft for a failure of the software developers to
bring their programs up to the new specifications? They've known for several
years what the basic parameters were going to be, the first public alpha was
put out in WinHEC 2003. I know Microsoft can be faulted for some issues, but
the majority lie in the hands of the application devs.

3. Most likely buggy drivers. Many network card drivers have trouble with
the new stack, particularly the implementation of the IPv6 protocol. Some
are still sorting it out, some have workarounds, some have up to 'snuff
drivers out there now. You need to check with the card maker for the
appropriate action.

4. IE has never been the best browser, just the most widely used one as it's
integrated into Windows. If it doesn't work well for you, then do as you
have done and use an alternative. That's why they're out there. As to
individual responses from problem reports, don't expect one, a dev told me
once they get around 17,000 per day. The data is then collated and
prioritized by an automated function. The dev's only see the end reports
summarizing it, not the individual reports. That function is chiefly used to
gather data so that efforts can be concentrated on the most widely reported
issues. If a fix exists for a particular issue, you get the automated
response from oca with a link to a patch or workaround, but that's about all
you should expect.

5. You are aware, I'm sure, that the option to revert to the classic menu
style still exists, right? Personally, I like the new menu, particularly the
integration of the run box into the search line.

6. No, it doesn't sound familiar. It would indicate either some corruption
of the shell, or that some malware or non-compliant process is running and
interfering. Surprisingly, or perhaps not so surprisingly, explorer.exe can
often be affected by addin/plugins that load with IE as they share several
library files. On several systems I have worked on, I've found this to be
the cause of all sorts of errors.

Every version of Windows has required some adjustments on the part of the
user, the software programs, and on Microsoft's initial thoughts on what it
should be. This is just part of the learning curve, and requires that the
user make some adjustments in order to feel comfortable with it. It's funny
to me now to work on XP systems, as they seem so dated in their approach.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Well nothing you can do about compatability anyway, even if you want to buy a
brand you laptop today you MUST HAVE VISTA, try ordering a laptop with XP pro
preloaded and look at the face of the sales man...

Sir, Computer manifactorers made it impossible to purshace a laptop or a new
pc with XP, its a must to buy it with Vista, I can post you some of the major
reviews published online.

Today, i dont want to lose my warranty, but i hate my Laptop, and i realy in
bad need to change the OS, coz its not working...

I need a real solution for this problem.

I dont know were to ask, but microsoft must have a solution in licensing for
such problem...

This is Serious why Microsoft cant help ???

Michel

Thanks Roger for your prompt responce, allow me to respond to your Email :

- Roll back option : I have previous laptop with xp pro license can i use
the same license for the new laptop or i have to use different license OEM.

- Vista has higher resource and higher requirements than XP : well i agree
with you however, please note the following :
Windows 95 : required 32 MB and recommended on 64
Windows 2000 : runns on 256 recommended on 512
Windows XP : runs on 256 recommended on 512
Vista : runs on 1 GB and "must" use 2 GB

If you put these into an excel sheet and make a drawing about the hardware
consuming between the different version of Windows you will see that Vista
has touched the sky in the hardware consumsion; for example i'm running
laptop Sony model VGN-FE48G/H, With 2GB DDR2 memory, and my laptop runs very
bad more then i ever seen in my life...

As a software vendor Microsoft should have developed a technology that works
with the hardware available nowadays and not create something that doest work
properly with the current technology.

"Rule number one in technology, build something that CAN Be Used and Not
Looks Good And Cant be Used".

2- You're blaming Microsoft for a failure of the software developers : well
i have read what the hardware vendors have said about Microsoft, and the way
it handeled Vista technology, if you would like i will send you what do they
think about this issue and why this failure has happen,, and they clearly put
the blame on Microsoft and microsoft put the blame back on them, and between
both of you there something called Consumer, that both of you have completely
forgotten about him, this consumer is not happy with the current quality of
his product and need a solution and not a work around this problem then that
problem.
So i'm not blaming microsoft, technology developers such "HP, Dell, IBM,
Mcafee, Norton, is blaming Microsoft" we are just between the legs of both
sides.

3. Most likely buggy drivers. : No that you know that , what is the solution
for this problem that it took over 8 months now !!! we have tried updating
our drivers countinousely but nothing is happening,, how we can sort this
problem out ?
Solution required.

4. IE has never been the best browser : Allow me to disagree with you, IE6
was the best available browser from the ease of use, speed, quality, etc,,,
IE7 fell down,,, this is flat fact, i can publish certain articles about were
Microsoft went wrong with IE7, and 17000 complain about IE7 i will add my
vote on that so they have to be 17001 actually consumers should stand and
tell Microsoft developers you are taking good money and we are paying allot
of money to get something good from you,,, please make something to compete
with Open source please whom for free.

5. Classic menu : Xp had 2 kind of menu, the classic menu available in Vista
force you to use the new menu, please try using the official XP menu and
compare technicly between the 2 versions. i'm sure you will be impressed.
Microsoft is trying to push consumers to work with the new Menu, however
many of us found it technically not worth it, and the other option is realy
worth the it,,, so what shall we do ?

6. explorer.exe : well people dumped windows 98 because of the blue screen,
actually it was funny how people used to make fun of win 98 because so many
blue screen, so today Microsoft has forgotten about that post and replaced
the bluescreen with explorer.exe errors, well comeon man, i'm getting this
error with many applications, i'm a consumer, i dont need to go into deep
technical details every time to solve a problem and work with my machine...
THESE MACHINES AND TECHNOLOGY WERE MADE TO WORK AND NOT TO CRASH.

7. Every version of Windows has required some adjustments : trust me i know
that, we have overcomed this problems with XP, however after good experience
with Vista, the technical problems and performance issues is preventing us to
overcome this problems.
technically speaking, i can put 2 laptops today one running vista and
another running xp, with same confirguration, and applications and test them
for 6 month on performance, activities and achievements, and i will assure
you that vista will only beat xp with the good interface and certain security
features.

What do i suggest :

As Microsoft has done with win98 version 2, i guess a core enhancement has
to happen on Vista and another ver of vista has to be released immidiately,
as vista practically dont meet with today hardware and software standards.

If you dont agree with me, just check why almost 98% of the corporates
worldwide refuse to upgrade to Vista !!! isnt because they dont want to pay
money or they know there is a problem around the corner that microsoft is
closing their eyes on it.

Thanks again for your answer, i thought to reply deeply to make sure that my
point is clear about this issue, we paid good money to Microsoft to use the
technology however Microsoft has to give us back the R.O.I we did, if not,
please with all do respect give us a solution to roll back to XP from
microsoft, because the hardware vendors are blaming you.

Bruce Chambers

Michel said:
I'm a computer expert ....

Why do you make such a claim when the rest of your post so clearly
disproves it?

.... whom been waiting badly for the long waiting Microsoft
Vista, and after all this time, I got the shock of my life when I have
purchased and experienced vista.
As a computer and technology expert, ....

Again, why do you make such a patently absurd claim when the rest of
your post so clearly disproves it?

....I will loudly say Vista is the biggest
mistake I have ever done in my life, my comments about it is simply:
1. Slow down your machine "Kill your computer performance to do basic
activities"

As a "computer and technology expert," surely you took a few minutes
before upgrading to determine whether or not your laptop was capable of
adequately running Vista? It certainly doesn't sound like it.

2. Huge problems in compatibility with other required applications "if you
feel like paying thousands for compatibility just try Vista" I have changed
the Antivirus solution, I had to upgrade my Adobe graphical pack as it
created many problems with the stability of my laptop.

As a "computer and technology expert," surely you took a few minutes
before upgrading to determine whether or not your installed 3rd-party
applications were fully Vista-compatible? It certainly doesn't sound
like it.

3. Network problem : I don’t know why the network sometimes get completely
vanished for no reasons, even if you reboot and it’s not a hardware problem,,
it’s purely a software problem, as i have already diagnosed it.

What happens when you installed the Vista-specific network adapter
drivers provided by the laptop's manufacturer? You did do that, didn't
you, as a "computer and technology expert?"

4. The Biggest Mistake "IE7" i have already done with trying to solve the
problems that IE7 has generated and i teached myself to work on FireFox as
Microsoft Team failed to answer my queries or solve any problem I have
reported to them earlier.

What IE7 problems? Identify some. Could it be that no solutions were
forth-coming from Microsoft because the only problems stemmed from your
encountering a steeper than expected learning curve?

5. Start Menu: I don’t know who told Microsoft that the current vista start
menu is good, but actually it’s not, it’s not useful and it’s hard to know
the software’s you have before of the size of menu in All Programs, I don’t
need to explain it more because I know that many are facing my problem, and
we even forgot what is the applications installed on our computers.

If you can't learn to use the Start Menu's default configuration,
simply reset it to the Windows classic style, Mr. "Computer and
technology expert."

6. Continuous Illegal operation for explorer.exe : is this sounds familiar ?

Nope. Never heard of or seen such a non-specific error report from
even the least experienced of users, much less an expert.
So whets good about Microsoft Vista ?

It's largely a matter of taste. Vista has a few new features, but
nothing radically different.

We have to give it for Microsoft for developing a nice graphical interface,
that it.

Ah, of courser a "computer and technology expert" would immediately
spot the most obvious but least significant of the changes.

What’s my suggestion and request :

I need to roll back to Windows XP Professional, I still am a big believer in
that operation system, in spite what every person has said about it, I
believe that it’s a great operating system, however people needs to know the
details of it, and it will be a great secure operating system with excellent
performance comparing to Vista.

Please send me the manual how to roll back my Laptop from Windows Vista to
XP professional keeping into consideration that I’m having a preloaded vista
on my laptop.

Why would "computer and technology expert" need a manual to roll back
to WinXP? I should think the process would be fairly obvious to even a
hobbyist of moderate experience. Anyway:

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Then the backed up data can be restored and applications (Those
that are WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

There could be a couple possible adverse repercussions, however, of
which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's
diverse components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer
about the availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an
OEM-installed operating system and replacing it with another will almost
invariably void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the
warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before
getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there will be the
additional cost involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new
computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Thanks Mr. Bruce Chamber for your responce, i would like to kindly ask you to
keep your responce technical and not drive it personal as its a technical
forum and not individual, your entire responce been so offensive without any
reason therefore kindly readjust your responce inorder for me to respond to
your claims.

No need to get angry if someone proves that there is problem with your work,
just try to respond in nice way like previous responce by Microsoft Experts.

Regards,

Michel

Kevin Weaver

peter said:
The only way to "roll back" is to purchase a copy of XP pro and format the
HD during the install.
Be aware that this will void your Laptop warranty....that you will need to
check the manufacturers website for XP drivers...and the recovery
partition will still revert you to Vista when used.
I can only say that it seems you did not do your due diligence before
purchasing a new Laptop with Vista.Most people check out the compatibility
of their hardware/software before spending big bucks on a new system with
a new OS.
peter
"Michel" <[email protected]> wrote in message

How do you figure it will void his warranty ? The laptop hardware is covered
no mater what OS The person wants to run.
Now if he calls tech support, gives his ser number and tells the guy, hey xp
is doing xyz then the support guy does not have to help him as it came
pre-loaded with vista.

But, It does not void any warranty on the machine.

Bruce Chambers

Kevin said:
How do you figure it will void his warranty ? The laptop hardware is
covered no mater what OS The person wants to run.
Now if he calls tech support, gives his ser number and tells the guy,
hey xp is doing xyz then the support guy does not have to help him as it
came pre-loaded with vista.

But, It does not void any warranty on the machine.

Actually, it may, in some cases. It depends entirely upon each
individual manufacturer's decision.

You are quite right in saying that changing the OS will almost
certainly void any and all support agreements, as well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Michel;
"brand you laptop today you MUST HAVE VISTA"
False, Dell, Toshiba and probably others continue to offer laptops
with Windows XP:
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=ca&l=en&cs=&k=windows+xp&cat=prod
And
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=397711
These are what I quickly found, there are probably many more.

This is the same as when Windows XP was released 6 years ago, the
previous operating system continued to be offered for a while.

If you hate it, return it and purchase one with Windows XP.

Steven Andrews

Michel said:
Thanks Mr. Bruce Chamber for your responce, i would like to kindly ask you to
keep your responce technical and not drive it personal as its a technical
forum and not individual, your entire responce been so offensive without any
reason therefore kindly readjust your responce inorder for me to respond to
your claims.

No need to get angry if someone proves that there is problem with your work,
just try to respond in nice way like previous responce by Microsoft Experts.

Regards,

Michel

Michael

Prove a point : Backup data - Reset the computer to factory defaults.
Update drivers ONLY. WITHOUT installing any other SW use the computer -
does the computer work? If so, its a third party app causing the issue.

Steve