Rogue diallers have claimed a high-profile victim

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No-one is above the threat posed by rogue diallers, it seems: Microsoft's top security man in the UK recently found himself with a whopping BT bill
b.gif

Microsoft UK's chief security advisor Ed Gibson. Speaking to ZDNet UK on Tuesday, Gibson revealed that he has recently been hit by a £450 bill from BT after his computer was infected with a rogue dialler.

Rogue diallers are malicious applications that hijack an Internet connection and redirect it to a premium rate number, often based abroad. They only affect dial-up connections, but some broadband users have been hit because they also have dial-up connections as a back-up.

Gibson was speaking at the London "eConfidence — Spam and Scams" conference, at which he delivered a passionate attack on rogue diallers.

"I'm so perturbed about the whole area of rogue diallers… If we don't make a concerted effort to make the Internet more secure, it will be a very different place in the future," Gibson told the conference.

Gibson later revealed that he had attempted to contact ICSTIS which regulates the premium-rate number industry, but they had been unable to help him. BT has insisted that he pay the bill, Gibson said.

In March BT launched a service to protect users against rogue diallers, after being besieged with complaints from users who had received massive phone bills.

And last month, ICSTIS announced new powers to prevent the criminals who run rogue dialler scams from getting their money.

Gibson was appointed as Microsoft's chief security advisor in the UK in May this year and took up his post in July. He has previously worked for the FBI as an assistant legal attaché for the UK.

:D

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39216715,00.htm

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh deary me! £450, that must be one heck of a dialer :eek: (actually, thats only 5 hours at £1.50/min!!!)

I know a few people well that have been hit by a dialer, mainly as they don't realise because they use ADSL but have a dialup modem still connected.

Reaction score
"Gibson was appointed as Microsoft's chief security advisor in the UK in May this year and took up his post in July. He has previously worked for the FBI as an assistant legal attaché for the UK."

Would you employ Gibson as the above?
It would be like saying Hitler was slightly nasty!
:eek:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If I was Gibson's boss I wouldnot only fire him but also hang him by his.....never mind ;)

Reaction score
Sounds to me that it should be common practice for all dial up customers to unplug thier modem when internet not in use.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Raje said:
Sounds to me that it should be common practice for all dial up customers to unplug thier modem when internet not in use.

I'm with Raje, seems like a very simple solution to a potentially expensive problem. Everything can stay configured, but you just un-latch the plug at the wall until you need it.

I notice that PCPro did a review of Security Suites a few issues ago, and some of the tested systems are now rolling-out with protection against rogue diallers.

Ask a Question