Robocopy from resource kit licensing question

D

David Lewis

We have robocopy from the resource kit.
I was wondering what the licensing limitations are on it.
Its already installed and I cannot find the original cd.
Can we run robocopy via a login script on all workstations?
Or do we have to license it for every machine?

D

David H. Lipman

David:

Use it in your organization as needed. There should be no problem.

Dave

It is my personal belief that one of the reasons MS Windows sux as a server platform is
becuase the Resource Kit utilities are separate. They belong to and should be shipped with
the server version's of MS OS's. One of the reasons I think Novell is better -- Its the
wealth of utilities that come with the Novell OS, stock.

Dave

| We have robocopy from the resource kit.
| I was wondering what the licensing limitations are on it.
| Its already installed and I cannot find the original cd.
| Can we run robocopy via a login script on all workstations?
| Or do we have to license it for every machine?
|

T

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

David H. Lipman said:
It is my personal belief that one of the reasons MS Windows sux as a server platform is
becuase the Resource Kit utilities are separate. They belong to and should be shipped with
the server version's of MS OS's. One of the reasons I think Novell is better -- Its the
wealth of utilities that come with the Novell OS, stock.

Hi

At least it has been some improvements for Win2k3 Server. It includes several of the Win2k RK
tools as part of the OS, and the Win2k3 RK is free to download from Microsoft's Web site.

This e-mail that the Microsoft's "Scripting Guys" just sent out also is a step in the right
direction (if TechNet Tools Center becomes a reality):

Subject: Scripting Newswire: A Few Notes and One Question

<quote>
And now for the question. A proposal has been made to create a TechNet Tools Center. This would
be roughly akin to the Script Center, except it would be focused on all the command line tools
Microsoft has ever created. (Well, at least those from NT 4.0 on anyway.) Details are still
being debated, but most likely the Tools Center would include:

* Some nicely-indexed method for finding a tool that performs a particular task.
* All the documentation for all the tools gathered in one place.
* Updates to tools and tool documentation.
* The ability to download tools individually. (Right now, for example, you can download the
Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools, but you have to download and install the entire set of tools,
even if you only want one.)

At any rate, that's the idea. So what's my question? Well, as is typically the case here, some
people think this is a really good idea and something customers will love, other people think
it's a really bad idea and something customers will hate. Seeing as how most of you ARE
customers, we decided to quit arguing about what we THINK customers will or will not like, and
just ask you straight out: Would you be interested in seeing a Tools Center on TechNet? Would
you be likely to patronize the Tools Center? Do you have any suggestions for things you think
absolutely MUST be in such a Center?

If you have any thoughts on the matter (or just want to reply with a YES or NO), I'd love to
hear from you. I'll collect responses for a week or two, and then forward them on to the powers
that be. And, I'll keep you all posted on the consensus.

Thanks, guys. Like I said, if you have any thoughts at all on the matter, I'd love to hear
them.

Greg Stemp
Microsoft Scripting Guy

</quote>

Send an e-mail to e.g. (e-mail address removed) (with ref. to Greg Stemp) if you want to give
some feedback on the above (if you subscribe to the Scripting Newswire, you will have Greg
Stemp's e-mail address as well)...

D

David H. Lipman

Torgeir:

Thank you for that information. It makes my gratuitous comment almost worthwhile. Albeit,
it was more or less a whine.

Dave

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > It is my personal belief that one of the reasons MS Windows sux as a server platform is
| > becuase the Resource Kit utilities are separate. They belong to and should be shipped
with
| > the server version's of MS OS's. One of the reasons I think Novell is better -- Its
the
| > wealth of utilities that come with the Novell OS, stock.
|
| Hi
|
| At least it has been some improvements for Win2k3 Server. It includes several of the Win2k
RK
| tools as part of the OS, and the Win2k3 RK is free to download from Microsoft's Web site.
|
|
| This e-mail that the Microsoft's "Scripting Guys" just sent out also is a step in the
right
| direction (if TechNet Tools Center becomes a reality):
|
| Subject: Scripting Newswire: A Few Notes and One Question
|
| <quote>
| And now for the question. A proposal has been made to create a TechNet Tools Center. This
would
| be roughly akin to the Script Center, except it would be focused on all the command line
tools
| Microsoft has ever created. (Well, at least those from NT 4.0 on anyway.) Details are
still
| being debated, but most likely the Tools Center would include:
|
| * Some nicely-indexed method for finding a tool that performs a particular task.
| * All the documentation for all the tools gathered in one place.
| * Updates to tools and tool documentation.
| * The ability to download tools individually. (Right now, for example, you can download
the
| Windows 2003 Resource Kit tools, but you have to download and install the entire set of
tools,
| even if you only want one.)
|
| At any rate, that's the idea. So what's my question? Well, as is typically the case here,
some
| people think this is a really good idea and something customers will love, other people
think
| it's a really bad idea and something customers will hate. Seeing as how most of you ARE
| customers, we decided to quit arguing about what we THINK customers will or will not like,
and
| just ask you straight out: Would you be interested in seeing a Tools Center on TechNet?
Would
| you be likely to patronize the Tools Center? Do you have any suggestions for things you
think
| absolutely MUST be in such a Center?
|
| If you have any thoughts on the matter (or just want to reply with a YES or NO), I'd love
to
| hear from you. I'll collect responses for a week or two, and then forward them on to the
powers
| that be. And, I'll keep you all posted on the consensus.
|
| Thanks, guys. Like I said, if you have any thoughts at all on the matter, I'd love to hear
| them.
|
| Greg Stemp
| Microsoft Scripting Guy
|
| </quote>
|
| Send an e-mail to e.g. (e-mail address removed) (with ref. to Greg Stemp) if you want to
give
| some feedback on the above (if you subscribe to the Scripting Newswire, you will have Greg
| Stemp's e-mail address as well)...
|
|
| --
| torgeir
| Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
| Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter
|
|

Ask a Question