Roaming profile on a Pen Drive.

Asgeir

We have a system where we have Workstations connected to the sentral server
over a satelite link. Since there is no local server we have made a solution
with roaming profile on the users Pen drive. This is done by putting the
local drive F:\profile\%username% in the profile path.

The problem is that the profile does not finish to save on the pen drive
before the user is logged out. It continues to save some seconds after the
login screen shows.

If the user the takes out his pen drive to early they get an error message
and the profile may be corupt.

Do anyone have an idee how we could resolve this problem?

Ray at

This is insane, in my opinion. And this also is one of those situations, in
my opinion, where "there are seldom technical solutions to behavioral
problems." (Courtesy of Ed Crowley)

Ray at work

David H. Lipman

I agree this is NOT a good idea and this post did NOT need to be cross-posted all-over the
place !

I'll bet the users have not been trained to properly dismount the drive.

Either the profile is kept on the server or on the hard disk of a PC but NOT on non-volatile
RAM drives !

Dave

| This is insane, in my opinion. And this also is one of those situations, in
| my opinion, where "there are seldom technical solutions to behavioral
| problems." (Courtesy of Ed Crowley)
|
| Ray at work
|
| | > We have a system where we have Workstations connected to the sentral
| server
| > over a satelite link. Since there is no local server we have made a
| solution
| > with roaming profile on the users Pen drive. This is done by putting the
| > local drive F:\profile\%username% in the profile path.
| >
| > The problem is that the profile does not finish to save on the pen drive
| > before the user is logged out. It continues to save some seconds after the
| > login screen shows.
| >
| > If the user the takes out his pen drive to early they get an error message
| > and the profile may be corupt.
| >
| > Do anyone have an idee how we could resolve this problem?

Asgeir

I agree this is not the optmimal solution.
It is hoverer working expect from the problem with the delay of saveing on
the drive.

Too use a roaming profile over the satelite link is no option, and we did
not have the option (even if we strongly recomend it) to put in a local
server.

In this circumstanses we need som creative suggestions to make the system
work as good as posible.

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Then you've no choice but to train your users better.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH