Risprep imagest to latptops do not show?

Hello,

We're using RIS to deploy our new desktops. This works well for both CD
(flat) images and for risprep images (with apps) We also build risprep
images for our laptops but they do not show up in the PXE menu ..., only the
CD image(s). Is this a know limitation of PXE on laptops or is this
vendor/nic related? We tested by changing the value of a risprep sif file
from SYSPREP to Flat and then they do show up in the menu .. very strange.
As said, this is only an issue on the laptops, on the desktops evertything
works fine.

The NIC's are broadcoms (1Gbps) integrated on the mother board for the
dektops (Dell GX2080) and on the laptops (D800, D600) and the laptops.

Thx for your input

Feng Mao

Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

According to my understanding, you were not able to use the RIS image inthe
PXE menu.

As I know, PXEClient will contact DHCP server and check the settings on
DHCP option 60,66 and 67 to direct Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE)
clients.

For the detailed information, please visit the below article in Microsoft
knowledge base:

259670 Using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Options 60, 66, 67 to
Direct
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259670

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Risprep imagest to latptops do not show?
| Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:46:34 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello,
|
| We're using RIS to deploy our new desktops. This works well for both CD
| (flat) images and for risprep images (with apps) We also build risprep
| images for our laptops but they do not show up in the PXE menu ..., only
the
| CD image(s). Is this a know limitation of PXE on laptops or is this
| vendor/nic related? We tested by changing the value of a risprep sif file
| from SYSPREP to Flat and then they do show up in the menu .. very
strange.
| As said, this is only an issue on the laptops, on the desktops
evertything
| works fine.
|
| The NIC's are broadcoms (1Gbps) integrated on the mother board for the
| dektops (Dell GX2080) and on the laptops (D800, D600) and the laptops.
|
| Thx for your input

There is a misunderstanding here,

The PXE part of our RIS setup works fine, we deploy all our desktops with
it. Both CD images and risprep images. But on the laptop in the
oschoice.osc we do not see the risprep images but only the flat CD images.
This is the case on all our Dell laptops. I have called PSS on this issue.

Thx for your input.

Feng Mao said:
Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

According to my understanding, you were not able to use the RIS image
inthe
PXE menu.

As I know, PXEClient will contact DHCP server and check the settings on
DHCP option 60,66 and 67 to direct Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE)
clients.

For the detailed information, please visit the below article in Microsoft
knowledge base:

259670 Using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Options 60, 66, 67 to
Direct
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259670

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

rights.
--------------------
| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Risprep imagest to latptops do not show?
| Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:46:34 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello,
|
| We're using RIS to deploy our new desktops. This works well for both CD
| (flat) images and for risprep images (with apps) We also build risprep
| images for our laptops but they do not show up in the PXE menu ..., only
the
| CD image(s). Is this a know limitation of PXE on laptops or is this
| vendor/nic related? We tested by changing the value of a risprep sif
file
| from SYSPREP to Flat and then they do show up in the menu .. very
strange.
| As said, this is only an issue on the laptops, on the desktops
evertything
| works fine.
|
| The NIC's are broadcoms (1Gbps) integrated on the mother board for the
| dektops (Dell GX2080) and on the laptops (D800, D600) and the laptops.
|
| Thx for your input

NIC Student

Hi,

There are normally three reasons when the RIPREP images don't appear in the
RIS choice list:

1. You have set ntfs permissions on the *.sif file on those images so the
user cannot see them.

2. The user has not scrolled down far enough to see all the image choices.

3. The user is trying to select an image for a target client machine that
has a different hal than the original machine that was RIPPREP'd. They must
be the same.

You cannot see all the RIPrep images that are stored on a RIS server that is
running Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842198

Indeed, but:

The images are the ones build from the laptops themselves ... so the HAL
should not be an issue. The desktops can see the images however, could
there be an issue with putting laptop images on a machine holding desktop
images (all DELL desktops GX280 and laptops D800, D600)
NTFS permissions are OK Iif, in the sif file we change image type = SYPREP
to Flat the do show! Even better, if you create a dummy inage folder
structure with no image files at all except for a sif file that had "flat"
filled in for image type in an empty template folder it shows up on the
laptop in the image menu! So hal filtering or permissions seems unlikly, it
seems the parsing happens on the sif file entry "imagetype"
There are not enough images for scrolling be an issue.

Cheers

Feng Mao

Hi,

Sorry for the misunderstanding in my first message. As you have contacted
PSS, we usually follow this issue in PSS support. Feel free to post back if
you still have questions or the issue is not solved.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Risprep imagest to latptops do not show?
| Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:58:54 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| There is a misunderstanding here,
|
| The PXE part of our RIS setup works fine, we deploy all our desktops with
| it. Both CD images and risprep images. But on the laptop in the
| oschoice.osc we do not see the risprep images but only the flat CD
images.
| This is the case on all our Dell laptops. I have called PSS on this
issue.

| Thx for your input.
|
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Thank you for posting here!
| >
| > According to my understanding, you were not able to use the RIS image
| > inthe
| > PXE menu.
| >
| > As I know, PXEClient will contact DHCP server and check the settings on
| > DHCP option 60,66 and 67 to direct Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE)
| > clients.
| >
| > For the detailed information, please visit the below article in
Microsoft
| > knowledge base:
| >
| > 259670 Using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Options 60, 66, 67 to
| > Direct
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259670
| >
| > Have a nice day!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| > =====================================================
| > rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Risprep imagest to latptops do not show?
| > | Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:46:34 +0200
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | We're using RIS to deploy our new desktops. This works well for both
CD
| > | (flat) images and for risprep images (with apps) We also build
risprep
| > | images for our laptops but they do not show up in the PXE menu ...,
only
| > the
| > | CD image(s). Is this a know limitation of PXE on laptops or is this
| > | vendor/nic related? We tested by changing the value of a risprep sif
| > file
| > | from SYSPREP to Flat and then they do show up in the menu .. very
| > strange.
| > | As said, this is only an issue on the laptops, on the desktops
| > evertything
| > | works fine.
| > |
| > | The NIC's are broadcoms (1Gbps) integrated on the mother board for the
| > | dektops (Dell GX2080) and on the laptops (D800, D600) and the laptops.
| > |
| > | Thx for your input
| > |
| > |
| > |

i am having similar issues with my RIPREP images....

I have installed the OS on a laptop and riprep'd, i can then not see the
image on other machines when PXE booting. The .SIF file creates an image of
HALacpi.dll so it must be of the same HAL!

I dont know whats best to do an image on, a Desktop which is old or a
desktop which is new! MSFT KB article 289638 is stupid and defeats the object
of RIS. I dont want 600 images!

If you can email me for correspondance on (e-mail address removed) monday to
possibly discuss id be delighted!

I think I found it:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q289/6/38.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Our images are the correct one but we created vanilla sif files and in those
the

[OSChooser]
HalName=halacpi.dll

must be wrong. I'll try that first thing monday morning.

Bye

Hello,

We're using RIS to deploy our new desktops. This works well for both CD
(flat) images and for risprep images (with apps) We also build risprep
images for our laptops but they do not show up in the PXE menu ..., only
the CD image(s). Is this a know limitation of PXE on laptops or is this
vendor/nic related? We tested by changing the value of a risprep sif file
from SYSPREP to Flat and then they do show up in the menu .. very strange.
As said, this is only an issue on the laptops, on the desktops evertything
works fine.

The NIC's are broadcoms (1Gbps) integrated on the mother board for the
dektops (Dell GX2080) and on the laptops (D800, D600) and the laptops.

Thx for your input

I'm having the same issue and I agree that KB article # 289638 is one of the
most useless KB articles I've read to date.

I went into the SIF file for the RIPREP's image and removed the reference
for the HAL from the HalName= setting and the Image then appeared in the list
of available images during a PXe boot. However, once the setup starts I get
an error saying that the Image has HAL: ACPI 1.0 - APIC platform MP
and the computer has: ACPI 1.0 - APIC platform UP

This is obviously a bug in the RIPREP as this is the same hardware that was
used to create the image in the first place.

Does anyone know which HAL is for APIC platform UP so I can put that into
the SIF file?

Thx..

Marc

Joined
May 6, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi

I have read this forum and we are getting the same problem with images not showing but on desktops.

I have installed XP then imaged the pc. On this pc i can see all the images, pull back down to the pc the image i've created.

Take the next pc which is from the same batch, has the same hardware but when i've gone to the Ris menu it is not showing. Anyone found an answer as to why this is?

If i do a sysprep on the sif file to get the product id so we don't have to do it on every image it appears in the ris menu list. When i try to use this image i get a message about the txtsetup.ini is missing or corrupt status 21

Does anyone know why this occurs?

Thanks

Chris