Rhiannon

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rhiannon was not always a popular UK name but it is now a very common name amongst young ladies aged between 15 and 40. Ever wondered why?

Well, here you go: This is the reason

I think it was around '76 and Fleetwood Mac were the hippie's darlings. Which is odd cos all Fleetwood Mac were trying to do was make a lot of money. This was their first successful song with the new lineup, quite a way away from ''Oh Well' and 'Man Of The World' I often wonder whether they should have kept the band name, but I digress.

Rhiannon.

If that's your name you're probably the offspring of deluded hippy parents :)

The name is irreversibly bound up with witchcraft, Wales, kaftans, incense, puff and hippies who weren't really hippies.

I find it all a bit laughable myself, how one song, fashionable at the time, can influence the naming of many many offspring. Still, could have been worse, if Phyliss Diller had recorded a song that was popular at that time :eek:

Hippies eh? Impressionable? Moi?

As for the song, personally I love it. And the next album was 'Rumours'...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Rhiannon happens to be my favourite song from the band, I love the original version of caurse but I also like the version from their Late 90's Live concert The Dance.

You have shared very good information about the background of the name, no me daughter is not named Rhiannon, but Mariah, anything you want to tell me about it? :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting Flops! I know a few people called Rhiannon, so I'm going to find out if this is why they have that name :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
...no me daughter is not named Rhiannon, but Mariah, anything you want to tell me about it? :D

Heehee, sorry Mr Quads, I no expert on the history of names all I know about Mariah/Maria/Marie is that it's origins are Irish and it is the name of one of my Sister-in-laws and me mate Richard's ex-wife.

Gawd, you've reminded me of her now, well tasty she was, lol

I have these Fleetwood Mac albums: Then Play On; Rumours; Tusk and The Dance.

My thread was prompted, btw, on hearing some mother call to her daughter by name in the supermarket yesterday.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I often wonder whether they should have kept the band name

Fleetwood Mac must be the only band that have had two completely different successful careers so, yes, should they have kept the name? Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were in both but were not really the driving force in either line up. Peter Green was the natural leader in FM1 (blues) and in FM2 (pop) the real drivers were Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks plus Christine McVie who wrote all the songs and were not in FM1.

I believe that FM2 have been playing again recently but without Christine McVie. :eek:

And I think Peter Green still plays a bit.

My favourite FM1 track is Something Inside Of Me.
And the FM2 track would be Go Your Own Way.

Ask a Question