Reverse DNS problem

Kevin Agard

I'm hoping somebody can help me. We run to DNS servers on Win 2K3, no AD.

The primary suffered a hardware failure si I reinstalled from scratch
and configured the DNS again. The problem is that reverse DNS seems to
be failing and as a result, we are having a lot of mail rejected.

Here is what I get back from DSLReports:

WARNING: Duplicate zone found (128.172.195.65.in-addr.arpa. is
repeated). This can prevent the lookup from continuing
(BIND8 and BIND9 will cause a 'server failure' response).
Although I will continue, be aware that
most DNS servers will not see your reverse DNS entry.

Which seems to be causing a loop however I can't figure out where.

Here is the reverse lookup zone file. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?

;
; Database file 172.195.65.in-addr.arpa.dns for 172.195.65.in-addr.arpa
zone.
; Zone version: 117
;

@ 1800 IN SOA ns1.naemt.com. hostmaster.naemt.org. (
117 ; serial number
3600 ; refresh
300 ; retry
1209600 ; expire
7200 ) ; default TTL

;
; Zone NS records
;

@ NS ns1.naemt.com.
@ NS ns2.naemt.com.

;
; Zone records
;

;
; Delegated sub-zone: 128.172.195.65.in-addr.arpa.
;
128 NS ns1.naemt.com.
; End delegation

130 PTR wildcat.naemt.org.
131 PTR alpha.naemt.org.
132 PTR kevin.agard.org.
133 1200 PTR ns1.naemt.com.
134 PTR wall2.naemt.org.
135 PTR eteam.naemt.org.
136 PTR host136.naemt.org.
137 PTR listserv.ems-l.org.
138 1200 PTR ns2.naemt.com.
139 PTR mail.naemt.net.
140 PTR brother.naemt.org.
141 PTR host141.naemt.org.
142 PTR host142.naemt.org.

Thanks

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Kevin Agard said:
[...]

When you rebuilt the machine, did you give it the same name and IP address?

Surmizing from the info you provided, on the machine holding the Primary
zone that failed, you could have made the zone on the other machine a
Primary, then built up the new box, then created a secondary of the zone
providing the existing machine as the master, then switched roles. The
duplicate appears to be saying it found two Primary copies of the same zone,
which we know won't be acceptable.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy. - [Me]