Retrieving customized toolbars

G

I had OfficeXP in my computer and it was costumized (toolbars, buttons, keyboard shortcuts, etc). I kept a backup copy of the Normal.dot, Excel10.xlb, Blank.pot, Ppt10.pcb, PowerP10.pip and PowerPoi.pip. Then I formatted the hard drive and installed Office2003. I had no problem retrieving all the customization from Normal.dot and Excel10.xlb (just replacing and renaming the files). Word and Excel look like they used to in Office XP, but I can't not get it to work in PowerPoint, i got the Blank.pot working but I can't get the customized toolbars and buttons. Is there any way to do it? In which file are they stored?
Thanks

S

Steve Rindsberg

I had OfficeXP in my computer and it was costumized (toolbars, buttons, keyboard
shortcuts, etc). I kept a backup copy of the Normal.dot, Excel10.xlb, Blank.pot,
Ppt10.pcb, PowerP10.pip and PowerPoi.pip. Then I formatted the hard drive and installed
Office2003. I had no problem retrieving all the customization from Normal.dot and
Excel10.xlb (just replacing and renaming the files). Word and Excel look like they used
to in Office XP, but I can't not get it to work in PowerPoint, i got the Blank.pot
working but I can't get the customized toolbars and buttons. Is there any way to do it?
In which file are they stored?

Theoretically in the PCB and PIP files, but moving customizations this way isn't
documented or supported by MS. For example, the format of the files may have changed
between versions and the new version's rejecting the old format file.

There's a Save My Settings tool that comes with Office XP. It might have helped before
the reformat but ... too late now; you'll probably have to recreate all the
customizations.

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com
================================================
Featured Presenter, PowerPoint Live 2004
October 10-13, San Diego, CA www.PowerPointLive.com
================================================

Ask a Question