Malke

Jabroni said:
Does anyone know how to restore my computer to the
factory settings on Windows XP. I was nor provided with
a disk when purchased.

It depends on the make of your computer. If you have an HP, for
instance, you press the F10 key as the computer is starting up to get
into HP's restore program. Look in the manual that came with your
computer, the OEM's website, or call the mftr.'s tech support.

Malke

T

t.cruise

Usually one boots with the Windows XP CD and does a NEW Install, which wipes the drive and
does a clean install. Since you don't have a CD, is it possible that you have one of
those systems like HP that has the install files on a hidden partition? Go to the web
site of the maker and see if there's a FAQ for reinstalling without the CD. Some
companies like HP will send system restoration CDs, which will image the hard drive as it
was when purchased. If none of the above is an option, and you have an old Windows 98 CD,
you can purchase a retail Windows XP Upgrade CD for about $99, boot with it, and when
asked for proof of eligibility for upgrade, swap the Windows 98 CD for the Windows XP CD,
then point the dialog box to your CD ROM drive for proof, and when accepted, swap back the
Windows XP Upgrade CD and continue the install. When the setup finds an existing copy of
Windows XP you'll be given the option to Repair or to install a Fresh Copy without
repairing to press the ESC key. Remember, if your system came bundled with software other
than the Windows XP Operating system, that software will be gone, because you don't have
the CDs to reinstall it. My first advice would be to deal with the tech support of the
maker of the system, either by phone or at their web site, and find out what options they
give for your problem.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply

Ask a Question