Windows Vista Restore a corrupt file

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if theres anyway of restoring a corrupted game file? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but its just a bit frustrating as I've had it for a while and I want to be certain it's dead before I delete it for good. It wont load properly without majorly slowing the game down and inevitably crashing, and when I try and copy it to a memory stick or something it says 'cannot copy file: cannot read from source file or disk'. I'm assuming it is corrupted, but I was wondering if there was a programme I could download to restore it to a previous save or to any kind of working state?
I have windows vista, norton security and spybot, 128k modem and a laptop with 2gb ram and a 160gb memory.

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No such thing as a stupid question ... you may find some of the answers are bordering on the insanity though. ;)

What game is it? Did it ever work OK?

Most can be "fixed" with applying the latest patches ... exceptions apply to all rules. I wish LoTRO would "fix" all their bugs. Excuse private comment ... ;)

Some games just don't like Vista, not entirely Vista's fault.

Certain forms of Norton are, err, not recommended by the majority of the regulars of this forum, it is known to interfere more than cure or protect.

Welcome to the forums

:user:

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The games champ manager, it always used to work fine and I never had any problems until I tried downloading some windows vista updates the other day and after that I had a string of problems, although I don't know if its actually related. I got a load of error messages so I reinstalled the game but when I put the .sav file back into the champ man folder in program files and loaded the game it just doesnt recognise it at all. My norton is almost non-existent now and I disabled the remaining bits of it but that doesnt seem to have made any difference. I started a new game and that works fine, so clearly its just this one save file. What should I do to get the old save game working?

Thanks in advance.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What should I do to get the old save game working?
Prey ... if indeed the file is corrupted, then there is nothing you can do.

You could try a "file recovery" program ... me would curse & swear and may replay the game, not really a gamer myself.

:user:

Ask a Question