Resources Help ... Please??? + feedback for Microsoft

G

Dear All

I would be really grateful if someone would help me. I have scoured the docs and the web for this

I am writing a VC++ application, using .NET and Windows Forms. I am using Visual C++ .Net Standard Edition 2003

I would like to include resources in the .EXE file. (Icons) I can do it the old fashioned way with a .rc file

What I would like to do is use some other icons for buttons in a Windows Form. I can load them from separate .ico files using Image::FromFile, easily but I would like to use Icons embedded in the executable

My question is ..
Is there any way that either I can use the old fashioned resources for these images, or embed new style .ResX or .resources files in the EXE file? ... and how? I want to ember the icons in the .exe file, not in a .DL

Please help

In terms of feedback to MS I feel that Windows Forms is much easier that MFC in most respects - and has lots of good features. The whole thing is just incredibly professional

A few issues though

The current IDE is bugged and often has serious issues. For example, when I close solutions and open others frequently some of the other windows in the IDE (e.g. help index), will stop working responding

The documentation for .Net is quite weak, and in general is poorly organised, lacks content, and expresses content poorly. I found a lot of questions about resources, for example, when looking for an answer to this question

The windows forms designer for VC++ is good - but bugged - for example if I add a 'Main Menu' Control, it overlaps the title bar of the window in the forms designer image (but not in the actual application). Sometimes I write or edit forms manually to get around errors

The general feel is that .Net is a new technology

For applications like games, it would be nice if an assembly could contain an option to *always* compile on install, less cumbersome that NGen 'ing. JIT is nice - but you could get the same benefits by compile on deploy, which should be an option

Yours sincerely

Sam Smith

T

Tim Smelser

Dear All,
I would be really grateful if someone would help me. I have scoured the docs and the web for this.
I am writing a VC++ application, using .NET and Windows Forms. I am using Visual C++ .Net Standard Edition 2003.
I would like to include resources in the .EXE file. (Icons) I can do it the old fashioned way with a .rc file.
What I would like to do is use some other icons for buttons in a Windows Form. I can load them from separate .ico files using Image::FromFile, easily but I would like to use Icons embedded in the executable.
My question is ...
Is there any way that either I can use the old fashioned resources for these images, or embed new style .ResX or .resources files in the EXE file? ... and how? I want to ember the icons in the .exe file, not in a .DLL
Please help.
In terms of feedback to MS I feel that Windows Forms is much easier that MFC in most respects - and has lots of good features. The whole thing is just incredibly professional.
A few issues though.
The current IDE is bugged and often has serious issues. For example, when I close solutions and open others frequently some of the other windows in the IDE (e.g. help index), will stop working responding.
The documentation for .Net is quite weak, and in general is poorly organised, lacks content, and expresses content poorly. I found a lot of questions about resources, for example, when looking for an answer to this question.
The windows forms designer for VC++ is good - but bugged - for example if I add a 'Main Menu' Control, it overlaps the title bar of the window in the forms designer image (but not in the actual application). Sometimes I write or edit forms manually to get around errors.
The general feel is that .Net is a new technology.
For applications like games, it would be nice if an assembly could contain an option to *always* compile on install, less cumbersome that NGen 'ing. JIT is nice - but you could get the same benefits by compile on deploy, which should be an option,
Yours sincerely,
Sam Smith

If you only need the icons for a specific form, an easy way might be to
simply add an ImageList control to the form. You then assign your
button's ImageList property and change which icon is dislayed for that
button by manipulating the ImageIndex property of the button. The icons
themselves would be automatically packaged up in your .exe and you would
have a graphical interface with which to managed them.

HTH,
Tim

Ask a Question