resolving DNS: domain migration over VPN...

D

Dennis Capulong

Hi guys,

I have a Windows Server 2003 machine which I would like to join to our main office's domain...
The machine I am trying to migrate is connected inside our private network. In the IP setting of the machine, I pinpointed the Preferred DNS server to our main office's DNS servers. I can ping the IP address of our main office's DNS but I cannot ping it using its full computer name... Using NSLOOKUP also request timed out.. Of course I cannot perform dcpromo in that manner...
Any help guys? Thanks.

Regards,
Dennis

A

Ace Fekay [MVP]

Is the 2003 server in a remote office? Is there a VPN connected between the offices? Is this machine at home?

Going thru a NAT won't work. It will need to be VPN'd in, whether a site to site (tunnel mode) VPN or a 24/7 VPN from the server to the internal network.

There are 30 ports required thru a firewall, but a NAT will NOT traverse domain communication traffic, specifically RPC, KErberos and LDAP traffic. You will need a VPN.

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services
Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations.
=================================

Hi guys,

I have a Windows Server 2003 machine which I would like to join to our main office's domain...
The machine I am trying to migrate is connected inside our private network. In the IP setting of the machine, I pinpointed the Preferred DNS server to our main office's DNS servers. I can ping the IP address of our main office's DNS but I cannot ping it using its full computer name... Using NSLOOKUP also request timed out.. Of course I cannot perform dcpromo in that manner...
Any help guys? Thanks.

Regards,
Dennis

Ask a Question