Resize shape in slideshow??

Paul Garner

I was wondering if it is possible to resize an object during a
slideshow?

I know there is a macro to drag and drop a shape, but I'd really like to
edit the shape of say, a triangle, whilst being in the slideshow.

If anyone knows how. that'd be great!!!

David M. Marcovitz

It depends how you want to control the resizing. If you want to be able
to drag the corners like a normal drawing tool, that would require
extensive additions to the Drag and Drop macro. If you want something
simple to just make the triangle bigger or smaller at pre-defined sizes,
then you could look at Trick #4 on my site (under the "More Tricks"
link):

http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/

If you want a little more control over the size, you could easily take
some dimensions from an InputBox. Bottom line is: a really nice interface
will require a lot of work. A simple hack will be pretty easy with VBA.

--David

--
David M. Marcovitz
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/

Paul Garner

Thanks very much David...

Could you enlighten me a bit more about using dimensions and an input
box!? That sounds intriguing.

I understand the fully draggable corners might seem like a lot of hard
work... which is annoying as it would be ideal. Do you have the drag and
drop macro as the one I have a copy of is "Read-Only" and password
protected!!

Thanks.

Paul.

Conversation: Resize shape in slideshow??
Subject: Re: Resize shape in slideshow??

[...]

The Drag and Drop macro is Read-Only and password-protected for the
protection of the original author. You will have to contact him for more
information.

For a simple rectangular shape, something like (totally untested and off
the top of my head):

Sub ChangeMySize(oShp As Shape)

myWidth = InputBox("How wide?")
myHeight = InputBox("How high?")
oShp.Width = myWidth
oShp.Height = myHeight

End Sub

There's also a missing piece here about setting the shape's dimensions to
not auto scale (change the width and the height might automatically
scale) as well as a lot of error-checking for typing inappropriate things
in the InputBoxes. Additionally, if you want to change the points on a
triangle, you'll need a somewhat different approach.

--David

--
David M. Marcovitz
Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
Director of Graduate Programs in Educational Technology
Loyola College in Maryland
http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/

Paul Garner

Thanks again David...

Excellent quick and helpful replys.

Would you have a starting point for changing the points of a triangle?

Paul.

Conversation: Resize shape in slideshow??

It depends how you want to control the resizing. If you want to be able
to drag the corners like a normal drawing tool, that would require
extensive additions to the Drag and Drop macro. If you want something
simple to just make the triangle bigger or smaller at pre-defined sizes,

then you could look at Trick #4 on my site (under the "More Tricks"
link):

http://www.PowerfulPowerPoint.com/

If you want a little more control over the size, you could easily take

David M. Marcovitz

This is going to be a little harder than it seems. While you can draw a
free-form shape to make any kind of triangle you want, once you draw it,
you don't have precise control over the individual points, just adjusting
the height and width. However, if you draw a shape, you can always create
a new shape based on the vertices of the old one and even delete the old
one. Here is the code (largely lifted from the VBA Help) to draw a
triangle:

Sub AddTri()
Dim myTri As Shape
Dim triArray(1 To 4, 1 To 2) As Single
triArray(1, 1) = 25
triArray(1, 2) = 100
triArray(2, 1) = 100
triArray(2, 2) = 150
triArray(3, 1) = 150
triArray(3, 2) = 50
triArray(4, 1) = 25
triArray(4, 2) = 100
Set myTri = ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Shapes.AddPolyline(triArray)
End Sub

You could set the triangle to be clickable, and set it to ask for all the
coordinates, draw a new triangle, and delete the old one. Sorry this
isn't so easy.

--David