Reset Grace activation on MSDN OS with Sysprep

I have been reading conflicting information about the ability to extend the
grace activation period for Windows XP (specifically Media Center 2005 in my
case). I am closing on my original 60-day grace period for activation. I
have obtained the CD Key from MSDN online, and have not activated the O/S.
I understood that I would be able to "extend" my grace period by using
sysprep (up to 3 times). I also understood this to be perfectly legitimate
as stated on the MS website.
I tried this on a different machine by installing MCE, advancing the date in
BIOS and attempting different combinations of sysprep (-mini, -reseal), Each
time upon reboot (after entering time zone, CD Key and the like), the
activation kept the same number of days as in the original install date. I
re-imaged the machine each time to get me back to square one.

Am I missing something? I merely need more evaluation time before
finalising the machine. How do I maintain the same user as originally
installed?
Thanks
Ross

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The only way to "reset" the Product Activation grace period
is to perform a "clean install" of the operating system.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

:

| I have been reading conflicting information about the ability to extend the
| grace activation period for Windows XP (specifically Media Center 2005 in my
| case). I am closing on my original 60-day grace period for activation. I
| have obtained the CD Key from MSDN online, and have not activated the O/S.
| I understood that I would be able to "extend" my grace period by using
| sysprep (up to 3 times). I also understood this to be perfectly legitimate
| as stated on the MS website.
| I tried this on a different machine by installing MCE, advancing the date in
| BIOS and attempting different combinations of sysprep (-mini, -reseal), Each
| time upon reboot (after entering time zone, CD Key and the like), the
| activation kept the same number of days as in the original install date. I
| re-imaged the machine each time to get me back to square one.
|
| Am I missing something? I merely need more evaluation time before
| finalising the machine. How do I maintain the same user as originally
| installed?
| Thanks
| Ross

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Ross,
Sysprep does not reset the timer for the activation grace period for MSDN
media.
Resetting the grace period is for deployment, so that when an image is
deployed it has the ability to use the full 30 days to activate.
It does not extend the grace period, it just resets the grace period back
to 30 days.
However since you have MSDN this does not apply, you are limited to 60 days.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: =?Utf-8?B?cm9zcw==?= <[email protected]>
<Subject: Reset Grace activation on MSDN OS with Sysprep