Requesting virus scan

Peter Werner

After doing a windows update I Now have a problem with Word & Excel files
opening slowly, with the message in the bottom left corner REQUESTING VIRUS
SCAN.
Trying to use Help lead to TOOLS, MACRO, SECURITY, but no macros were found
to have been installed and altering the security levels made no difference
at all.
Can you advise how to turn off REQUESTING VIRUS SCAN.

Regards

Peter Werner

PW Draughting
Tel +44 (0)1883 347223 Fax Please ring first.

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed.
Accordingly, P W Draughting disclaims all responsibility and accepts no
liability (including in negligence) for the consequences for any person
acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt
by those persons of subsequent written confirmation. If you have received
this E-Mail message in error, please notify me immediately by telephone.
Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.
Mail to (e-mail address removed)

DL

If you have Norton AV, there was a recent prob with an AV update, see
symantec.com for details
David

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Peter Werner" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications
Subject: Requesting virus scan
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:47:32 -0000

--

Peter,

This is not an Office newsgroup and you may get a better answer from an Office newsgroup or a newsgroup specific to the
applications involved.

With that said, the only time I have seen the Requesting Virus Scan on the status bar of Word or Excel is when the installed
anti-virus has a Office plug-in that is used to scan any document being opened by the Office applications.

For example, the URL below points to a page at Symantec which tells how to turn off and on the Norton Office plug-in.

<http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999091612160606?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=
2002080511355806&nsf=nav.nsf&view=d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=>

The above line may wrap so be sure to get everthing between the < and > symblols.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.