REQ: Need Help to make a BOOT DISK

Maureen Goldman

I am looking at :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314079

And think I should make such a boot diskette. But I do not see any of
the following three files on my C drive. In fact, I don't see any
'files' under the root directory there. Curious. I do see folders
however (e.g. windows).

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

You can make a boot disk by putting a floppy into the drive and
right-clicking in windows explorer. Choose format, and a box will open
with an option to make a boot disk.

young

You can make a boot disk by putting a floppy into the drive and
right-clicking in windows explorer. Choose format, and a box will open
with an option to make a boot disk.

Do you want me to make a 'MS DOS Startup Disk'? That's the only
possible 'boot' disk I see.

Thanks

young

You can make a boot disk by putting a floppy into the drive and
right-clicking in windows explorer. Choose format, and a box will open
with an option to make a boot disk.

Well forget that! I tried it and all I got was a DOS-formatted disk
that said my c drive did not even exits! (formatted NTFS).

Thanks

John

to see the boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect files, you must go into control
panel, folder options. Click on the View tab and select "show hidden files
and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files"
Your XP cd will also act as a recovery tool, FYI.
Good luck

Thomas Wendell

It is a boot disk, albeit it boots to DOS only. And DOS does not know how to
read NTFS, it knows only FAT and FAT32.
To _read_ NTFS, you need NTFSDOS from www.sysinternals.com . If you also
want to write from DOS to NTFS, you need NTFSDOSpro.

young

to see the boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect files, you must go into control
panel, folder options. Click on the View tab and select "show hidden files
and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files"
Your XP cd will also act as a recovery tool, FYI.
Good luck

Thanks, at least I found the three files I was seeking.

At web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314079

Under How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against
Being Unable to Start Windows XP

it says:

Use the following procedure to create this disk:

1. Place a blank floppy disk in drive A, and format the disk by
using Windows XP.
2. From the root folder of the system partition of your hard disk
drive (for example, C:\-), copy the following files to the floppy
disk:

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

You may have to remove the hidden, system, and read-only
attributes from the files.

3. Restore the hidden, system, and read-only attributes to the
files on your hard disk if you removed these attributes.
4. If either the Bootsect.dos or the Ntbootdd.sys file resides in
the system partition, also use the procedure that is described in
steps 2 through 4 to copy these files to the boot disk.

If you format a floppy disk in Windows XP, the boot record points to
the NTLDR file. When NTLDR runs, it loads the available operating
system selections from the Boot.ini file. If you select Windows, NTLDR
runs Ntdetect.com, and then passes control to Osloader.exe. If you
select MS-DOS or OS/2, NTLDR loads Bootsect.dos.

I used Windows Explorer>properties>format> to make a formatted floppy.
Then I moved the three above files to the FD.

I tried to reboot with floppy in drive a to see if system would boot
to a: and the floppy contributed nothing. Oh it read okay, but the
boot continued normally to the c drive WXP.

Can you suggest what I am missing (again).

Thanks