REQ: Document database or document indexing

Franklin

Is there any freeware which will allow me to locate my document images
by keyword only?

The sort of keywords I mean look like this:
Subject, From, To, Date Sent, Reply/New, Dept

Although it would be nice I do not want to index the actual contents of
the documents.

I want to use the keywords so I can retrieve by specifying, for example,
From and Date. Or maybe by specifyig Subject, To, and Dept.

jmatt

Franklin said:
Is there any freeware which will allow me to locate my document images
by keyword only?

Don't know your operating system, but Search or Find in Windows, using
Content do that.

jmatt

Franklin wrote:

And if you want Instant.

Instant File Name Search
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Instant-File-Name-Search.shtml
Instant File Name Search (IFNS) is a fast, free and easy to use search
tool. Instantly search files by name or wildcards on your computer or
local network. Windows All.
IFNS offers support of Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), database
management (you can create several databases), hot keys and a
convenient, Explorer like interface. Save your time and money. Windows
All.

Franklin

Don't know your operating system, but Search or Find in Windows,
using Content do that.

I am using XP. Unfortunately XP search/find will not do this because it
operates on either (a) the file name or (b) the content which may not be
ASCII.

Search/find does not find only keywords. Nor does it allow you to
search with your search words in any order.

jmatt

Franklin wrote:

Here is my info, links are like us, they die. If any of these links are
dead or are no longer freeware, at least you have the name of the
program which you put into a search engine like Google & maybe you can
let me know the latest info.
I am not recommending anything, my list gives you a starting point to
find something to suit your operating system ( most people do not even
mention it ) & skill level. What will work on my computer, may not be
happy on yours. What I can understand, re how to install & run, may not
apply to you.

XP Search replacement > Find.zip
http://www.shellfront.org/utils/
WanyWord
http://home4.inet.tele.dk/jensguld/
Ava Find
http://www.think-less-do-more.com/avafind/
http://download.com.com/3001-2248-10201203.html
Wilbur
http://wilbur.redtree.com/
Looker
http://www.webgrid.co.uk/audiovideo.html
http://www.webgrid.co.uk/index.html
http://www.netdevel.net.nz/index.php?mod1=netdevel/software
File Hunter
http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/
http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/filehunter/odyframe.htm
LookDisk
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/filesearch.html
http://www.fxsearch.com/ldw_eng/
Power Search
http://www.dirfile.com/power_search.htm
http://steveseymour.0catch.com/
Xteq X-Find
http://www.xteq.com/products/xfnd/
TrackerV3
http://www.trackerv3.com/overview.htm
HandyFile Find & Replace
http://silveragesoftware.com/ftp/HFFRSetup.exe
http://www.lerup.com/printfile/printfile215-32.zip
InfoRapid
http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm
Instant File Name Search
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Instant-File-Name-Search.shtml
Snowbird
http://www.geocities.com/casablanca2000in/msp/
http://www.freewarearena.com/html/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=search
TaskTracker
http://tasktracker.wordwisesolutions.com/
TextProc
http://steveseymour.0catch.com/
Simple Search/Replace Insert/Append on multiple text files
http://steveseymour.0catch.com/download/textproc.zip
File Digger
http://www.primeoption.com.au/fd/fdHome.htm
Super Finder
http://fsl.sytes.net/
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/Super_Finder-30960.html
Powerfull replacement for Windows XP™ built-in search
Lookout
http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/lookoutinfo.html

Franklin

Franklin wrote:

Here is my info, links are like us, they die. If any of these links
are dead or are no longer freeware, at least you have the name of
the program which you put into a search engine like Google & maybe
you can let me know the latest info.

Matt, thank you for your list. I do appreciate your help. However I
think you are still making the same error as before. The programs
you list (and I have used most of them) are not document database
programs.

Just double check my original posting for details. I am not looking
to search just on a document file's name.

The closest applications out of the ones you list (including Wanyword
XP Search Replacment) are the desktop search programs but they
usually index content too.

Even if desktop searchers did not index content, they do not permit
the creation of keyword fields like FROM or DATE RECEIVED, so the
user can not search on the contents of only these fields which is
what I need.

jmatt

Franklin said:
Even if desktop searchers did not index content, they do not permit
the creation of keyword fields like FROM or DATE RECEIVED, so the
user can not search on the contents of only these fields which is
what I need.

Maybe this is the way to go.

TABLE PRO
http://www.dirfile.com/table_pro.htm
TABLE PRO is a simple and convenient database for the home or office.
With TABLE PRO you can add and edit data easily, sort by any field you
wish, perform fast, powerful searches, customize the interface with
unlimited records, and export data in various useful formats. Different
databases may be created to suit your database needs. For example, a
telephone directory, a card file, a videoshop inventory, a LOG-file, a
file of statistics, etc. can all be created using different tables,
each with appropriate columns. A single instance of the TABLE PRO
program can then instantly call up any desired database. TABLE PRO uses
no custom database components or controls, and does not change the
Windows Register or anything else outside its own directory, which
makes it extremely safe and simple to use. It has a small footprint and
makes few demands on computer resources, so TABLE PRO may normally be
left running on the desktop...

=====================================

Select > Search, type in > freeware database
http://www.simtel.net/search.result.php?format=&SiteID=simtel.net
Approx 11 pages of programs
More here.
http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/dbase.htm#dbase

====================================

dbEdit
http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/

IBEasy+
http://web.archive.org/web/20040405....univ-lyon2.fr/Marc_Grange/Telecharger_en.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20040508104407/http://nte-socio.univ-lyon2.fr/Marc_Grange/IBEasy+.exe

dBworx
http://plworx-software.com/
http://plworx-software.com/dbworx29.zip
dBworx Tutorial:
http://plworx-software.com/dwxtut.html

Aquarius Database
http://markmason.net/aq/

TreePad Lite
http://www.treepad.com/treepadfreeware/

Ezy Data Database Application
http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld/links.php?page=6&cat=008
http://www.aadconsulting.com/ezydata.html

LS - File List Generator
http://home.a03.itscom.net/tsuzu/programing/en/

Al Klein

Even if desktop searchers did not index content, they do not permit
the creation of keyword fields like FROM or DATE RECEIVED, so the
user can not search on the contents of only these fields which is
what I need.

If you're searching for text that's non-ASCII (which you said), you'll
need a program that understands the character coding the files use -
so unless the people supplying that program also supply a search
program, you'll have to have one custom written. (Why would you use a
program that uses non-ASCII coding?)

Franklin

If you're searching for text that's non-ASCII (which you said), you'll
need a program that understands the character coding the files use -
so unless the people supplying that program also supply a search
program, you'll have to have one custom written. (Why would you use a
program that uses non-ASCII coding?)

Al, I tried to say that the content of files may not be ASCII so it
is useless performing a simple XP-like search on the contents:

"I am using XP. Unfortunately XP search/find will
not do this because it operates on either (a) the
file name or (b) the content which may not be ASCII.

XP search has two boxes: one for name searches and one for content
searches. Neither is my first priority.

Franklin

Instant File Name Search
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Instant-File-Nam
e-Search.shtml Instant File Name Search (IFNS) is a fast, free and
easy to use search tool. Instantly search files by name or
wildcards on your computer or local network. Windows All.
IFNS offers support of Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), database
management (you can create several databases), hot keys and a
convenient, Explorer like interface.

This is nice but I think Janne Huttunen's very useful Locate32 is
probably better at doing the same job.

http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml

Sadly, either one does not do what I need. :-(

Al Klein

Al, I tried to say that the content of files may not be ASCII so it
is useless performing a simple XP-like search on the contents:
"I am using XP. Unfortunately XP search/find will
not do this because it operates on either (a) the
file name or (b) the content which may not be ASCII.
XP search has two boxes: one for name searches and one for content
searches. Neither is my first priority.

Windows can only handle ASCII coding (or UTF-8). If the files are
non-ASCII (say, EBCDIC), they're not text to Windows so nothing
written for Windows can search them as text. Not Explorer's search
boxes, not DOS's find command, not Word, Access, Open Office -
nothing. Not even a program written to do exactly what you want - to
files with ASCII text in them.

Larry Sabo

Franklin said:
I am using XP. Unfortunately XP search/find will not do this because it
operates on either (a) the file name or (b) the content which may not be
ASCII.

Search/find does not find only keywords. Nor does it allow you to
search with your search words in any order.

Haven't followed this thread, but has anyone suggested Wilbur
(http://wilbur.redtree.com/), or is it not suitable?

Larry

Susan Bugher

Franklin said:
Is there any freeware which will allow me to locate my document images
by keyword only?

Are all the documents image files? What are the formats of the files?
The sort of keywords I mean look like this:
Subject, From, To, Date Sent, Reply/New, Dept

Although it would be nice I do not want to index the actual contents of
the documents.

I want to use the keywords so I can retrieve by specifying, for example,
From and Date. Or maybe by specifyig Subject, To, and Dept.

Do the files already have keywords or do you intend to create them?

You might take a look at some of these apps:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#1.05Organizer:DocumentManagement

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

curtis ballard sr

Franklin said:
Is there any freeware which will allow me to locate my document images
by keyword only?

see if this is what you are looking for.

http://www.geocities.com/garytobis/MainPage.html

Documentor
This paperless office software is ideal for a small business. It uses a
method mimicing the classic file cabinet, and the sectioned file folder, to
store documents. It is suitable for a doctor, lawyer, or small business,
and can store 10 million file folders and 1 billion documents or pages. The
software takes files/documents, input with a scanner or created with a
program like Word or Excel, and organizes them in an Access database, made
to look like the classic filing system, with file folder names and folder
sections. The goal was to create a very fast and efficient way to organize,
look up, view, and print documents. Users and user passwords can be created
and every entry is automatically labelled with the user who entered it.
Although I have not undertaken a legal investigation, this system can be a
legitimate method of maintaining records if employed with the proper
safeguards to document tampering and privacy. Files can be made unalterable
and confidentiality can be maintained.

Franklin

Windows can only handle ASCII coding (or UTF-8). If the files are
non-ASCII (say, EBCDIC), they're not text to Windows so nothing
written for Windows can search them as text. Not Explorer's search
boxes, not DOS's find command, not Word, Access, Open Office -
nothing. Not even a program written to do exactly what you want -
to files with ASCII text in them.

You are correct. That is why I want an app which will recognise its
own keywords and permit me to retrieve by various combinations of
keys for keyfirelds. The app is likely to have some sort of forms
GUI and a database-like back end.

Susan has steered me in the right direction by pointme at this
http://tinyurl. It's embarassing to realize I overlooked
Pricelessware's own listing!

Franklin

Are all the documents image files? What are the formats of the
files?

Do the files already have keywords or do you intend to create them?

You might take a look at some of these apps:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#
1.05Organizer:DocumentManagement

Susan

Thanks Susan. You understood what I am looking for. I was beginning
to worry that I was going to have to explain how Search is different.

The documents I have are both in image format and also in word
processor format. The four products in Pricelessware have a heavy
reliance on MySQL which I am going to struggle with and one or two of
them are not much documented.