Is there a searchable photos database which stores thumbnails?

John S.

After owning a digital camera for a couple of years I'm amazed to
find I have over 1500 digital photos stored on my HDD, and am
wondering about a logical way of keeping tabs on them and
accessing the ones I want to find.

Is there a smart freeware database which will:-

a) Pick up (import) the file names and dates of all .jpg files in
any folder the user selects,

b) Extract and store a thumbnail for each file name it imports,

c) Provide a database field where the user can enter text or
keywords for each file,

d) Allow searching of the text/keywords in that field.

What I want to be able to do is to set up the database without
having to manually enter the file names and dates, then go
through the entries with the thumbnails visible, and enter
comments in the text field so that I can later find the pictures
I want.

If anyone has experience with freeware which has this kind of
facility I would be grateful for comments.

Thanks

John S

Susan Bugher

John said:
After owning a digital camera for a couple of years I'm amazed to
find I have over 1500 digital photos stored on my HDD, and am
wondering about a logical way of keeping tabs on them and
accessing the ones I want to find.

I'm quite fond of FotoAlbum. :)
Is there a smart freeware database which will:-

a) Pick up (import) the file names and dates of all .jpg files in
any folder the user selects,

Yup - you can create more than one database if your files are not all
grouped in one folder (with or without subfolders). FotoAlbum only
creates databases for the folder(s) you point it to.
b) Extract and store a thumbnail for each file name it imports,
Yup.

c) Provide a database field where the user can enter text or
keywords for each file,
Yup.

d) Allow searching of the text/keywords in that field.
Yup.

What I want to be able to do is to set up the database without
having to manually enter the file names and dates, then go
through the entries with the thumbnails visible, and enter
comments in the text field so that I can later find the pictures
I want.

If anyone has experience with freeware which has this kind of
facility I would be grateful for comments.

Program: FotoAlbum
Company: FotoTime
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) LFW (v 3.4.1)
http://htmole.altervista.org/
http://digilander.libero.it/molearchive3/fasetup.zip (4,669,264 bytes)

FotoAlbum can create photo CDs (easily) (but no sound). . . has a
very good help file. . . slide shows, a choice of thumbnails sizes. . .

More apps are listed here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php#2.02Organizer:ImageGallery

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Yes, we had noticed. ;)
One of my favourites also.

:) I forgot to mention that backing up FotoAlbum's database(s) is a very
good idea. Losing one is a major PITA if you've entered a lot of
keywords and it's been known to happen. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Eric

Another optin (just to give you a choice) would be Picasa
<www.picasa.com>

I like how it automatically notices changed or added pictures. Also,
it has quite a few fix tools and it does NOT change the original file.
I can adjust color, crop, etc for a special use and still go back to
the original anytime.

John S.

Susan Bugher said:
I'm quite fond of FotoAlbum. :)
Snipped added details

Thanks for the recommendation Susan, and thanks also to Eric for
the Picasa suggestion.

Guess I will try FotoAlbum first and see how it goes.

Cheers,

John S