Replacing fan/heatsink on 9800 pro

Peter

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system, with a Radeon 9800 pro card
installed. It works fine, but I am unhappy with the noise the
aggresive little fan on the card produces. Is there any ideas on what
the best solution could be ?

I went to the local hardware pusher, and he did not have any passive
solution in stock. He then sold me a northbridge heatsink from Zalman,
and a quiet Pabst fan to mount on top. It is a good question if it
will fit or not! I will get some time soon to get my hands dirty, but
it would be nice to know if anyone have similar experiences with this.

In any case, I will post the results here when I try it out

thanks,
Peter

Dark Avenger

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system, with a Radeon 9800 pro card
installed. It works fine, but I am unhappy with the noise the
aggresive little fan on the card produces. Is there any ideas on what
the best solution could be ?

I went to the local hardware pusher, and he did not have any passive
solution in stock. He then sold me a northbridge heatsink from Zalman,
and a quiet Pabst fan to mount on top. It is a good question if it
will fit or not! I will get some time soon to get my hands dirty, but
it would be nice to know if anyone have similar experiences with this.

In any case, I will post the results here when I try it out

thanks,
Peter

Oh yes those little NB blocks are great... for North Bridges, really
GPUs and for sure the 9800 Pro GPU makes way more heat then the NB
cooler is designed for.

The last cards that probably could be NB cooled are the GF4 MX series

You do need this puppy:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/ZM80C-HP.htm

Don't forget the extra fan, don't worry that fan won't make to much
sound!

Technicly the shop is right.. Zalman has a solution for you but in
your case, with your card... only the best Zalman offers is good
enough!

Chip

Peter said:
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 system, with a Radeon 9800 pro card
installed. It works fine, but I am unhappy with the noise the
aggresive little fan on the card produces. Is there any ideas on what
the best solution could be ?

I went to the local hardware pusher, and he did not have any passive
solution in stock. He then sold me a northbridge heatsink from Zalman,
and a quiet Pabst fan to mount on top. It is a good question if it
will fit or not! I will get some time soon to get my hands dirty, but
it would be nice to know if anyone have similar experiences with this.

In any case, I will post the results here when I try it out

thanks,
Peter

Peter, get the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer *IMMEDIATELY*. Its the best
upgrade I have ever bought and will be utterly fantastic on your 9800 Pro,
and its cheap too.

Seriously I can't recommend this product highly enough. The Zalman is OK,
but not only is the VGA Silencer *much* more quiet than your stock hs&fan
(in fact it has silent mode), but it lets you overclock your card too.

I have a 9700 Pro that I can now run at 410MHz with one of these installed.
Brilliant piece of kit. Just buy one - I *promise* you, you will think its
brilliant.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

Cheers,

Chip

Oh - BTW - chase down the review of the HIS Excalibur 9800 Pro - it comes
with one of these fitted. And see what it does for your 9800 Pro!

Dark Avenger

Chip said:
Peter, get the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer *IMMEDIATELY*. Its the best
upgrade I have ever bought and will be utterly fantastic on your 9800 Pro,
and its cheap too.

Seriously I can't recommend this product highly enough. The Zalman is OK,
but not only is the VGA Silencer *much* more quiet than your stock hs&fan
(in fact it has silent mode), but it lets you overclock your card too.

I have a 9700 Pro that I can now run at 410MHz with one of these installed.
Brilliant piece of kit. Just buy one - I *promise* you, you will think its
brilliant.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

Cheers,

Chip

Oh - BTW - chase down the review of the HIS Excalibur 9800 Pro - it comes
with one of these fitted. And see what it does for your 9800 Pro!

With the Zalman kit you also can overclock... :)

Chip

Dark Avenger said:
"Chip" <[email protected]> wrote in message

With the Zalman kit you also can overclock... :)

Perhaps, but the Zalman ZM-OP1 is £39 in the UK, whereas the Arctic Cooling
VGA Silencer is a mere £20. And it cools better.

I am not meaning to have a go at the Zalman product though: It fulfills its
purpose as a silent cooler and if you are happy with it then great. Its
just that the VGA Silencer offers more for less money.

Chip.

Dark Avenger

Chip said:
Perhaps, but the Zalman ZM-OP1 is £39 in the UK, whereas the Arctic Cooling
VGA Silencer is a mere £20. And it cools better.

I am not meaning to have a go at the Zalman product though: It fulfills its
purpose as a silent cooler and if you are happy with it then great. Its
just that the VGA Silencer offers more for less money.

Chip.

Possible, great thing is that more then 5 compagnies make silent GPU
cooling solutions. So for everybody there is something!

Knickers

With the Zalman kit you also can overclock... :)
Perhaps, but the Zalman ZM-OP1 is £39 in the UK, whereas the Arctic Cooling
VGA Silencer is a mere £20. And it cools better.
I am not meaning to have a go at the Zalman product though: It fulfills its
purpose as a silent cooler and if you are happy with it then great. Its
just that the VGA Silencer offers more for less money.

I just bought a Arctic Cooler VGA on Ebay (unopened) I read a lot of good
reviews about it and decided to buy one, but it's even better than I thought
it was going to be, on full power it lowers my 9800pro by almost 30
degrees!!

Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of there CPU coolers, do they
perform as well.

Cappy

Knickers said:
I just bought a Arctic Cooler VGA on Ebay (unopened) I read a lot of good
reviews about it and decided to buy one, but it's even better than I thought
it was going to be, on full power it lowers my 9800pro by almost 30
degrees!!

Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of there CPU coolers, do they
perform as well.

Do you have to remove the "dreaded shim" to install the Arctic Cooler VGA Silencer?
TIA