Replace Windows 2000 DC

I'm in the mist of planning the replacemnet of an old Windows 2000 DC with a
New server running windows 2000 which will be a DC controller as well. This
old server hosted all of our operation master roles, was a global catalog
server as well. The new server must also have the same name as the old
server because all the users drive mapping refer to this server as will as a
whole bunch of programs company wide. The first thing I believe i have to do
is move all the operation master roles to another DC in the active directory
structure. If this is correct how do i do this. The second thing I would
have to do is make another server a global catalog server while I build the
new DC. Demote the old server to a member server. Change the older servers
name. Remove the old server's DC name from AD. Bring up the new DC with the
old server's name. Am I on the right path here. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thansk,
George

Rebecca Chen [MSFT]

Hi George,

Yes, you are on the right path and your plan seems quite good. :)

One kind reminder is please perform a full backup on the orignal server and
perform the replace steps during non-business time. I would like to
provided the following steps for your reference:

NOTE: I call the original server is Server 1, two new servers NewSrv1 and
NewSrv2. I assume you want to use NewSrv1 to replace Server1

1. Add NewSrv2 to the current domain and promote it to be an additional DC
for Server1; install AD-integrated DNS on NewSrv2. During this period, AD
and DNS information will be automatically replicated to NewSrv2.

2. Transfer FSMO role from Server1 to NewSrv2.
3. Backup Server1 to a tape in case you need to restore the system to
Server1.
4. Demote Server1 and then take it offline.
5. Run NewSrv2 for a period of time for test to make sure there is no
problem.
6. On machine NewSrv1, change computer name from NewSrv1 to Server1, change
the IP and then add NewSrv1 to the network.
7. Promote it to be an additional DC for NewSrv2; install AD-integrated DNS
on Server1. During this period, AD and DNS information will be
automatically replicated to Server1.

8. Transfer FSMO role from NewSrv2 to Server1

You now use NewSrv1 to replace Server1, AD and DNS information have been
seamlessly migrated to the new hardware. This method is more secure and
smooth.

HTH!

Best Regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469

Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Thanks for the advice. NewSrv2 is an existing DC at this location. So in
this case I would just transfer the roles and then proceed as planned. Also
Newsrv2 is runnign DHCP. How can I transfer DHCP from this server to Newsrv1.

Its been a while so correct me if I'm wrong on this.
The five FSMO
1)Schema Master
2)Domain Naming Master
3) Infrastructure Master
4) RID Master
5) PDC Emulator

To tansfer RID, PDC, and Infrastructure Master
-I do this under Activer Directory Users and Computers

To tansfer Domain Naming
-User AD Domains and Trusts

Tansfer Schema Master
-use the Scmea Active Directory Schema snapin
-Ibelieve the tool has to be registered from my research

The advantage of doing a backup of Server1 and then doing a restore on
NewSrv1 using my backup software is that all the security permissions remain
intact verses a directed copy across the network losses all security
information.

Thanks in advice for your thoughts.

George

From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
Subject: Replace Windows 2000 DC
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:45:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment

[...]

The steps seem good and correct. A kind remider, if you plan to restore the
backup set to the NewSrv1, please make sure you backup the Server1 AFTER
the five FSMO roles have transferred to NewSrv2; otherwise, if you have
transfer FSMO to NewSrv2 and restore the backup set to NewSrv1, there will
be two servers hold FSMO roles and will cause expected issues in the
network.

In case the NewSrv2 cannot usefully restart after restoring from the
backup, please use the steps I have provded to perform a clean installation
of win2k3 server on NewSrv2, promote it to be a DC and installing DNS etc
to achieve your goal.

With regards to the DHCP, you can refer to the following article to backup
and restore DHCP scope:

Backing up the DHCP database
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/stan
dard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DHCP_und_DatabaseBackup.asp

Restoring server data
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/stan
dard/proddocs/en-us/sag_dhcp_tro_RestoringData.asp

Hope it helps.

If you have any update or questions, please feel free to post back.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:45:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment

[...]

Everything went smoothly for the most part. The new DC cann't be browsed to
by one nT machine and two NT member servers we have on our network. They an
all ping the server fine. It gives an error that no domain controller could
be found when attempting to logon but will have to use cashed credentials.
What would cause this and how can I resolve the situation.

From: "=?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlIFNjaG5laWRlcg==?="
<[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:45:03 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment

[...]

I understand the NT machine cannot logon to the new server. However, it's
better to post them separately from you original plan. On other hand, winNT
is out of its lifecycle. I suggest you post it to win2000.networking
newsgroup to and NT group to get more information from other partners or
MVP.

For your reference, if you raise the domain function level to win2k native
mode, all BDC cannot contact the win2k DC. You need to upgrade NT BDC to
win2k server. However, NT workstation should contact the win2k server.

In addition, keep the win2k server update to date, install SP4 and roll up
1 for SP4. Installing DSCLIENT on the down-level clients to check the
status.

How to enable Windows 98/ME/NT clients to logon to Windows 2003 based
Domains
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555038