Repeatable HKU/SID_CLASSES Corruption after Unattend.Txt XPSP1 Ins

I've got a repeatable issue with XP (SP1) Unattend.txt install. Here's what
happens:

1. WinPE PXE boots, formats the drives, kick off unattend.txt.
2. Unattend.txt puts XP SP1 onto the box, then runs the guirunonce bit to
install 70MB or so of hotfixes, SMS SP1, and Novell client.
3. After bootup, SMS then starts installing applications.

Somewhere in this process, HKU\(currently-logged-in-SID)_CLASSES\ key
develops a problem - users have no rights to that key. The net effect is
that normal users cannot change file associations. If I go to permissions on
that key, administrators, restricted, and system have normal rights, and
there's a long SID in there (S-1-5-21-299502267-84292546-725345534-1007) that
doesn't resolve to a name.

If I remotely connect to the machine as an admin with regedt32, *ensure the
problematic user is logged in* and change permissions for that key (say, add
machinename\USERS full rights) then everything is fine, and that *one user*
can then change file associations at will - including now and after a reboot.

However, any other users that log into the box will have the same problem -
they can't change file assocations until I perform the above fix.

This is repeatable on 100% of the various computer types around.

So, two desired solutions here:

1. How can I find out where in my imaging process this is happening? If I
remove the GUIRUNONCE bit so no (hotfix|sms|novell) files install, the
problem doesn't happen, but if I then (immediately after that first reboot)
manually kick off the guirunonce script, the problem *still* doesn't happen,
so it seems like it's either a contention issue or something else. :(

2. If I can't stop it from happening during the build, how do I fix it
(allow all users to change file associations)? My current fix only fixes
that ONE currently logged in user on that ONE box he's logged into. I'm
content with a per-machine solution, but I'm hoping for a fix for all users
on a given machine, rather than just one as my current fix allows.

Any ideas on this one?

Update to the problem:

The same problem exists in HKCU\Software\Classes. In other words, showing
permissions on HKCU\Software\Classes shows the same unknown SID number.

Any ideas? Anyone? Corruption of 2 folders/trees of the registry,
repeatable problem - anyone??

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
You may have to try isolating the items you are installing to see which one
is causing the issue.
Try with just the hotfixes, then add the SMS client, then add the Novel
client.
Check each one after installing it to see if the permissions are correct or
not.
It may be changing the default user account so all new users get the change.
Or you could drop your changes into the default user account so that the
permissions are changed each time a new user account it generated.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?aHVudDAxQG5vc3BhbS5wb3N0YWxpYXM=?="
<[email protected]>
<Subject: RE: Repeatable HKU/SID_CLASSES Corruption after Unattend.Txt XPSP1
<Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:50:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Any ideas? Anyone? Corruption of 2 folders/trees of the registry,
<repeatable problem - anyone??
<
<"(e-mail address removed)" wrote:
<
<> Update to the problem:
<>
<> The same problem exists in HKCU\Software\Classes. In other words,
showing
<> permissions on HKCU\Software\Classes shows the same unknown SID number.
<>
<>
<>
<>
<> "(e-mail address removed)" wrote:
<>
<> > I've got a repeatable issue with XP (SP1) Unattend.txt install.
Here's what
<> > happens:
<> >
<> > 1. WinPE PXE boots, formats the drives, kick off unattend.txt.
<> > 2. Unattend.txt puts XP SP1 onto the box, then runs the guirunonce
bit to
<> > install 70MB or so of hotfixes, SMS SP1, and Novell client.
<> > 3. After bootup, SMS then starts installing applications.
<> >
<> > Somewhere in this process, HKU\(currently-logged-in-SID)_CLASSES\ key
<> > develops a problem - users have no rights to that key. The net effect
is
<
<

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for replying.

I did, in fact, find it earlier this evening. The problem was the
HKU/SID_CLASSES key was being locked down. The file that changes this is
usrclass.dat - I found this file, opened it in regedt32, and saw the same
problematic SID. I removed the usrclass.dat file from the image, and the
problem completely went away.

Sigh. :)

Thanks for posting though!

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
You may have to try isolating the items you are installing to see which one
is causing the issue.
Try with just the hotfixes, then add the SMS client, then add the Novel
client.
Check each one after installing it to see if the permissions are correct or
not.
It may be changing the default user account so all new users get the change.
Or you could drop your changes into the default user account so that the
permissions are changed each time a new user account it generated.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "=?Utf-8?B?aHVudDAxQG5vc3BhbS5wb3N0YWxpYXM=?="
<[email protected]>