???Renaming Files

D&C

Was trying to re-name a file (eg.30456.jpg ) to ( Fred.jpg ) , the change will take place but Windows can no longer find an application to open it ???????? .UNDO the change & everything ok .Also had one when i went to re-name the file , ( which was in this case the (c) drive on this computer ) said name was to long........ this is how it was in explorer
eg......+ [ pic]  FRED ( C: )     .......I wanted to change it to + [pic]  Local Disk ( C: )
Any help greatly appreciated
DM

Michael Burk [MSFT]

What exactly are the file names you are changing it from and to? What
special characters or spaces are there in the names? What method are you
using to rename them?

It sounds like you may be trying to use an illegal character in a filename.

--
Michael Burk
Longhorn Shell

Wesley Vogel

Michael;
It has been my experience that XP won't let you rename a file using illegal
characters. I've been busted every time. :blush:)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In
Michael Burk said:
What exactly are the file names you are changing it from and to? What
special characters or spaces are there in the names? What method are you
using to rename them?

It sounds like you may be trying to use an illegal character in a filename.

--
Michael Burk
Longhorn Shell
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn
----===========================----
What exactly are the names and the characters in the names that you are
trying to use? What method are you using to do the renaming?

It sounds like you may be having an issue with an illegal character in a
file name.

--
Michael Burk
Longhorn Shell
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn
----===========================----
rights.
Was trying to re-name a file (eg.30456.jpg ) to ( Fred.jpg ) , the change
will take place but Windows can no longer find an application to open it
???????? .UNDO the change & everything ok .Also had one when i went to
re-name the file , ( which was in this case the (c) drive on this
computer ) said name was to long........ this is how it was in explorer
eg......+ [ pic] FRED ( C: ) .......I wanted to change it to + [pic]
Local Disk ( C: )
Any help greatly appreciated
DM

Kelly

Hi,

Make sure that the extensions match, if you are sure they are as according
to your example below, then this may be program specific. Especially seems
so, because of the long file name used, that is not common for XP.

Good luck!

[...]

  "D&C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
  Was trying to re-name a file (eg.30456.jpg ) to ( Fred.jpg ) , the change
will take place but Windows can no longer find an application to open it
???????? .UNDO the change & everything ok .Also had one when i went to
re-name the file , ( which was in this case the (c) drive on this
computer ) said name was to long........ this is how it was in explorer
  eg......+ [ pic]  FRED ( C: )     ........I wanted to change it to + [pic]
Local Disk ( C: )
  Any help greatly appreciated
  DM

Hi , this was a picture taken with a digital camera....it saved as eg. 34567.jpg  , i wanted to rename it to "cabin.jpg"  , on another machine i can change the name & it works fine , the same went for the (C) drive in Explorer on this machine....for some reason the (C) drive in explorer was named eg......Fred (C:)   , i just wanted to rename it Local Disk (C:).......which made more sense .
Tks
Any info greatly appreciated
DM

David Candy

Local Disk is shown when there is NO name.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
:
[...]

D&C;
It looks to me like you are trying to rename the drive and rename the file,
all at one time.

I could find one documented way (3) to change the drive name. However, it looks to me that there
are at least three ways.
1. Open My Computer | Highlight C: | File | Rename
2. Open My Computer | Right click C: | Rename
3. Open My Computer | Right click C: | Properties |
In the type in box:
[Specifies the name of the disk, and provides a space for you to type a new name. If disk is
formatted with the FAT file system, the label can contain up to 11 characters. If the disk is
formatted with the NTFS file system, the limit is 32 characters.]

Change the drive name, then change whatever *.jpg file name(s).

As Kelly mentioned, there may be something that is program specific
about the file name/path.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes