Removing the word "Total" from subtotal cells

G

I'm using Excel 2002. I've taken a list with 6000 rows of data and used the "Subtotals" instruction to find summary data for the 334 item numbers that are repeated through the list. I would like to copy the item numbers into another list but the subtotals include the word "Total" in the cell. For example: the multiple rows of data with item # L6050 is subtotaled into a cell that says L6050 Total. Is there someway to remove the word "Total" from the cell?

R

Ron de Bruin

Hi Andy

One way is to use Edit>Replace in the menu bar

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

Andy F. said:
I'm using Excel 2002. I've taken a list with 6000 rows of data and used the "Subtotals" instruction to find summary data for the
334 item numbers that are repeated through the list. I would like to copy the item numbers into another list but the subtotals
include the word "Total" in the cell. For example: the multiple rows of data with item # L6050 is subtotaled into a cell that says
L6050 Total. Is there someway to remove the word "Total" from the cell?

R

Ron de Bruin

Hi Andy

If I understand you correct then

If you select the cells in column A you can use Edit Replace.
Find What Total
Replace With (leave empty)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

Andy F. said:
Thanks, Ron. But I think I wasn't clear enough in my description. I have 334 rows of data, each row starts with a cell that has
a unique item number with a space and the word "Total". Row 1 has the headings for each column. For example:
Column A Column B C
Row 1 Item Number Description Pounds
Row 2 W2244 Total 22X44 66,000
Row 3 59776566 Total 34X48 24,000
Row 4 Black-Iron Total 38X58 75,000
Row 5 XXXX Total 23x30 32,000
(continues)
Row 334 LBF3456 34x56 99,000

I got all of the Totals by using DATA>SUBTOTALS...... from the menu. I would like to copy the list of item numbers in Column A
into a new column without the word "Total" in each cell. I could go to each cell in the column and edit out "Total" but I'm hoping
there's another way.

Ask a Question