Removing a 'workgroup'/Domain from windowsxp home edt.

G

I have come to the conclusion that the 'workgroup' which is called "HOMEPC' is causing the majority of my systems problems. Is there someone who could prehaps explain how to get it off my computer. I belong to a high speed interne
cable connect which I pay for. I have had my software stolen, most of it and was able to get 1 - 2 of the recovery cd and the logitec keyboard cd software back. My other software is gone. No cd-rom home edt.. no applications or tools and utilities. Additionally Ive been concerned of Identity Theaft. My software which I pay for and download. ie..anti-virus protection, applications for music and more are being taken from my computer, and I really want to try this newsgroup approach to help fix this problem, if possible. Lastly my personal information is being sent somewhere on a synchrnzation schedule daily. I have my firewall enabled, pcillin for anti virus which isnt much. Ive checked the remote assist and remote deskop settings which are not enabled. I do plan to take this issue as far as it will go to stop the person/persons from stealing my private information, but in the meantime any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank-You for your time

Sincerely
Lorrie L Pringl
@[email protected] or
(e-mail address removed)

G

Do you mean that your software was stolen off of your computer? And it sounds like you have been hacked, if I am reading your question properly. If this is the case, just changing the workgroup wont do it. You can easily change the work group by right clicking on my computer and going to properties, then clicking on computername, then click change and you will be able to change the workgroup there. I would recomend updating your Anti Virus software, and running a tool called stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Use that address to download stinger, this looks for Trojan Horses, and other nasty buggers that can get on your computer. Also, I would recommend purchasing a router, either linksys, Dlink, or netgear. Most of them have someform of simple firewall that will help protect you, also you can find them rather inexpensivly if you look. Since you are on cable you have to remember that you are basically on one big network with everyone else who lives near you, who also has cable, this means that someone who knows how, can get into your computer very easily if you dont protect yourself. Good luck

Ask a Question