Scott McDaniel

Hi there

I have recently put a new database on the network at work. Now each time i
open that database, various users with their permissions can log on. this
is perfect.

But, however no matter which other database i open, i need to log on? I
would only like the security to apply the database I created, not each and
every one I put on the machine?

You've either joined your machine to a different workgroup, or you've included a non-blank password for the Admin user
in the default workgroup file, which is named "system.mdw"

You didn't mention what version of access you are running, but if it's 2002/2003 then open Access, click Tools -
Security - Workgroup Administrator, and then:

1) If you are joined to anything other than system.mdw, then locate and rejoin the system.mdw workgroup

2) If you are joined to system.mdw, then close out of Workgroup Admin, and open the User and Group Accounts (Tools -
Security - User and Group Accounts). Locate the Admin user, click the Change password tab, and clear the password that
is associated with that user.

As an alternative to #2, you can close access, then locate and delete the system.mdw file (or rename it if you don't
want to delete it). Access will rebuild it for you next time you open Access, with all the defaults in place.

Now, to launch your secured database, you'll use a shortcut which can tell Access which workgroup file to use. Build a
desktop shortcut with the Target like this:

"full path to msaccess.exe" "full path to your database" /wrkgrp "full path to your workgroup file"

This will open your database with that workgroup, but you can open other databases with the default system.mdw file as
always.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you kindly

Melissa

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com

Ask a Question