remotely reading device settings over WIFI

Milsnips

Hi there,

What i'd like to know is how it is possible to read device settings over a
network connection.
I am toying with the idea for a small desktop app which checks a IP range
for available devices. If it finds a device, then I want to get the
DeviceID, and other device details, type, processor, etc.. and show it in my
desktop app.

Will this require a client application on the mobile device in order for
this to work?

Any help and comments appreciated.
thanks,
Paul

Yes, it will require an app on the device listening for requests unless it's
connected with ActiveSync.

Moshe Peleg

I thought of a server application, not a client.

If you want your desktop to search, I think the devices should be the
listeners, while the desktop sends somekind of "pings" and is answered by
the devices with an info packet.

Moshe

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

I'd set up the devices to join a IP multicast group that both they and the
PC know about. The PC could then send a request to the whole group with a
single operation and you could either have each device reply to the whole
group, or have then individually connect to a server running on the PC to
send their data.

Paul T.

Milsnips

Hi All,

Thanks for the great feedback, it sounds like a tricky thing to achieve
however i think the client app is probably the best way to go about it.

What i initially would like to achieve is when the app starts, the user will
set an Ip range for the devices, then scan that range which i guess sounds a
little like the IP multicast thing although im not too sure how it works.

At the moment i've got a simple app working on desktop via the
OpenNetCF.Desktop.Communication.RAPI class but it only seems to work for
ActiveSync connections, whereas i'd like to do it via TCPIP. Does anyone
know if anything else in the opennetcf framework will help me out here?
thanks,
Paul
"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

No, there's nothing in OpenNETCF that I can think of that would make this
simple. What you've described will work; it just takes more packets being
dropped on the network than sending a single message to the multicast group.

Paul T.

Milsnips said:
[...]

Back to basics; System.Net.Sockets.

--