Remote VPN (Vista -> 7 Ult. 64bit)

Reaction score
I'm trying to setup a VPN connection from my work location (Business class Brighthouse connection/Road Runner) to my house (Residential class Brighthouse connection/Road Runner).

I have successfully setup a Remote Administrator server on the Vista machine at work so I can work on it while not having to drive back and forth.

* The Vista computer is the client, the server is 7.
* The server computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit) is static IPed within the set DHCP range in the home router config

- I have a Linksys WRT54G router at home
- I have a Linksys WRT54GS router at the work location
Both have the latest firmware

- I've opened port 1723 for PPTP
- I've allowed for PPTP passthrough at the home location in the router config
- I've even gone as far as disabling the built in Linksys firewall at home and setting the server PC at home as DMZ
- When setting up the incoming connection on the home computer I created a new login, created a password for it, told it to use only IPv4, configured IPv4 to 3 different IPs allowing for 3 different simultaneous connections
- I changed the subnet of the work network from 192.168.1.xxx to 10.0.0.xxx
- A coworker of mine tried it from his house which is also Vista and it went right through and he could see all the shares I had and everything, I also had him setup my network printer on his computer and he printed to my printer from his house 30min away

I've tried many other things above but I figured i'd list these just to start.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:

Ask a Question