Remote Linksys router setup

B

- Bobb -

I just thought of something else ... not microsoft question but has to do with setting up a remote user and I'm thinking that you
folks may be doing this with remote users also: ( I did try Linksys site - no info and I emailed them - it will take a few days for
a reply)

I'm in Boston - she's in Orlando.
We both have the same, new Linksys wireless router WRT54GS (same firmware too)
Since I'm here and she's there and has no idea how to make the router secure ...

What if I update my router with all of the proper security and back up to a bin file ( an option in the router menu). I then email
her MY bin file, and she saves it to her PC. Can she then RESTORE that backup bin file to HER router (from her router menu) and have
her router secure ( using WPA-PSK etc) just like mine is ? or is the .bin file serial number specific ?

D

David H. Lipman

| I just thought of something else ... not microsoft question but has to do with setting up
| a remote user and I'm thinking that you folks may be doing this with remote users also:
( I
| did try Linksys site - no info and I emailed them - it will take a few days for a reply)
|
| I'm in Boston - she's in Orlando.
| We both have the same, new Linksys wireless router WRT54GS (same firmware too)
| Since I'm here and she's there and has no idea how to make the router secure ...
|
| What if I update my router with all of the proper security and back up to a bin file ( an
| option in the router menu). I then email her MY bin file, and she saves it to her PC. Can
| she then RESTORE that backup bin file to HER router (from her router menu) and have her
| router secure ( using WPA-PSK etc) just like mine is ? or is the .bin file serial number
| specific ?
|

No !

Just record the settings, capture scren shots is one way, and email the information to her.

Please keep your posts On Topic. It is neither a Win2K or WinXP question but would be On
Topic for a News Group such as; alt.comp.networking.routers

Ask a Question