Remote Desktop Web connection

G

I have my Windows XP Pro Host with the proper components installed via add and remove components. Downloaded and installed the Remote Desktop Web Connection software for Active X in my TSWeb folder. See instruction
1. Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select Internet Information Services, and then click Details.
4. In the Subcomponents of Internet Information Services list, select World Wide Web Service, and then click Details.
5. In the Subcomponents for World Wide Web Service list, click the Remote Desktop Web Connection check box, and then click OK.
6. In the Windows Components Wizard, click Next.
7. Open Internet Services Manager.
8. Expand the folder hierarchy until you reach the local computer name\Web Sites\Default Web Site\tsweb folder.
9. Right-click the tsweb folder and then click Properties.
10. Click the Directory Security tab on the Properties dialog box.
11. In Anonymous access and authentication control, click Edit....
12. Check the Anonymous access check box on the Authentication Methods dialog box, and then click OK twice.
Note
· Must install the web connection software. See separate instructions
· To open Internet Services Manager, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.
· Internet Information Services is installed on Windows XP Professional by default.
· You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
· To open a Control Panel item, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click the appropriate icon.
· For information on using Remote Desktop Web Connection from the client computer, see To connect to another computer using Remote Desktop Web Connection.

Now the instructions to connect to the Host
1. Ensure that Remote Desktop Web Connection is installed and running on the Web server. For more information, see Setting up Remote Desktop Web Connection.
2. Ensure that your client computer has an active network connection and that the WINS server service (or other name resolution method) is functioning.
3. On your client computer, start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
4. In the Address box, type the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) for the home directory of the Web server hosting Remote Desktop Web Connection
The URL is "http://" followed by the Windows Networking name of your server, followed by the path of the directory containing the Remote Desktop Web Connection files (default = /Tsweb/). (Note the forward slash marks.) For example, if your Web server is registered with the WINS server as "Admin1", in the Address box you type: http://admin1/tsweb/, and then press ENTER. The Remote Desktop Web Connection page appears on the screen
For My Computer you keyboard http://winxppro/tsweb/ and then sign in
5. In Server, type the name of the remote computer to which you want to connect.
6. Optionally, specify the screen size and logon information for your connection.
7. Click Connect.
Note
· Remote Desktop Web Connection requires Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher.

The instructions are to go to the internet web browser on a client machine, and type : http://mymachinename/tsweb and you will get a web interface to connect to the Host. Is there something I am missing here? All I get is the old "This Page cannot be Displayed". There must be something more to this. My machine sits behind a gateway router with TCP port 3389 open and ready. I can connect using the the Remote Desktop Client software, but there are some users who do not want you to install that on their machines. I just thought the Remote Desktop Web connection software would be the solution. Please advise. Are there other ports I should open?

B

Bill Sanderson

You also need port 80, TCP, to reach the web server. I'd recommend adding a
final / after tsweb in the URL, as well.

You need to be sure that port 80 isn't blocked by the ISP at the host end.

G

I have port 80 open to point to my Web server. Port forwarding to my Local IP of 192.168.0.103 TCP, the IP address being the box my Web server is on.

B

Bill Sanderson

any way you can test locally--behind the router or whatever leads to the
Internet?

Some ISP's block port 80--have you checked about that. Verizon does this,
for example.

You can run IIS on an alternate port if this is the problem.

Ask a Question