Remote Desktop Connection connection problem

mrmagoo

I'm trying to connect my laptop to a server w/Remote Desktop Connection. I
am using a Linksys BEFSX41 router that I just bought. The laptop has a
connection to the internet, but I can't connect via RDC.

The error message is:
----------------------------
The client could not connect to the remote computer.
Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to
accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are
preventing your connection.
Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues, contact your
administrator.
----------------------------

I AM able to use RDC from my client's site, no problem. The problem occurs
at my home. But I do have an internet connection.

I searched google and found an article, and I have set up Port Range
Forwarding on my router to RDP, 3389 to 3389, TCP, 192.168.1.101 (my
laptop's IP address via ipconfig). I also tried the Application name of RDC
but that didn't help either.

But that didn't help. I have also tried this with my old router, Linksys
BEFSR41 ver.2 with the same problem.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

thanks.

Robert L [MS-MVP]

do a simple test. Can you telnet port 3389? To do that, use this command: telnet IP address 3389.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"mrmagoo" <-> wrote in message I'm trying to connect my laptop to a server w/Remote Desktop Connection. I
[...]

Just to make sure...it's cmd prompt:

Telnet <the ip address I'm trying to connect to w/RDC> 3389

It responds with:

Connecting to remotehost...Could not open connection to the host, on port 3389; Connect failed.