reinstallation cd

peewee

My sisters computer is running very slow so I tried the systems restore and
that did not work, so I am thinking of reinstalling XP, the problem is she
does not have the reinstallation cd. I have mine but is about three years
older, will I be able to use mine, or should she try to get one from Dell?

Alias

peewee said:
My sisters computer is running very slow so I tried the systems restore and
that did not work, so I am thinking of reinstalling XP, the problem is she
does not have the reinstallation cd. I have mine but is about three years
older, will I be able to use mine, or should she try to get one from Dell?

Read the manual where it will tell you how to restore the computer to
factory settings. Her copy of XP is on a hidden partition. This is the
new computer user unfriendly method the big OEMs like Dell and HP use
nowadays. The other alternative is to call Dell and insist on a CD for
her machine (something she should have insisted upon when she bought it).

Alias

David B.

It depends on what yours is, it needs to be an actual Microsoft OEM CD of
the same version (Home or Pro) that is provided on the product key sticker
on the Dell.

peewee

Thank's to all, just called Dell and they told me my cd is no good on another
computer, so I will order one for my sisters computer.

David B.

Actually your Dell CD may work on her Dell, I didn't catch the part where
both were Dell. Run it and see what happens, if it's successful you'll get
to the desktop without it asking to activate.

jack of all trades

My friend has one type of PC and I have another, but we both have Windows XP
home, I lost my OS disk/ he has his. So when my PC crashed. We used his disk,
with my 25 character password that is on a sticker on the outside of the PC.
And here I am.

Bruce Chambers

peewee said:
My sisters computer is running very slow so I tried the systems restore and
that did not work, so I am thinking of reinstalling XP, the problem is she
does not have the reinstallation cd. I have mine but is about three years
older, will I be able to use mine, or should she try to get one from Dell?

It would be best if a replacement could be obtained from Dell.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

DellCA

peewee;3047158 said:
Thank's to all, just called Dell and they told me my cd is no good o
another
computer, so I will order one for my sisters computer.

:
-
It depends on what yours is, it needs to be an actual Microsoft OEM C
of
the same version (Home or Pro) that is provided on the product ke
sticker
on the Dell.

--

----
Crosspost, do not multipos

"peewee" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
My sisters computer is running very slow so I tried the system
restore
and
that did not work, so I am thinking of reinstalling XP, the proble
is she
does not have the reinstallation cd. I have mine but is about thre
years
older, will I be able to use mine, or should she try to get one fro
Dell? -

-

Hello,

My name is Todd and I'm with Dell's online customer advocate program a
our corporate headquarters in Round Rock, Texas. We have different CD
for each version of XP, i.e. one for XP Home, another for XP Pro, etc.
If you both have the same version of XP then you can use your older C
on her system since the product keys will match and it won't violat
Microsoft's licensing. If your CD is that much older you may end u
needing to download the various service packs to get the OS up t
date.

Someone had mentioned the image restore function. If your sister
system is the newer one it may have the image restore utility on it.
To run it, for XP systems, you would reboot the system and at the Del
splash logo hold down the <CTRL> and tap the <F11> key. Tha
sequence will start the utility, if its available on her system.

If the utility isn't available and you have any problems getting th
reinstallation CD for her system you can email me a
(e-mail address removed) with the service tag of the system and I ca
request one be sent out to you. Please include my first name, Todd, i
the subject line of the message so it can be routed through to me.

If you have any questions about Dell's Online Outreach program or wha
my team does feel free to check out the following link on Dell's blo
site, www.Direct2Dell.com.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2006/11/19/3648.aspx

Thank you,

Todd
Customer Advocate
Dell, Inc

peewee

Todd, thank's for the info, I went to dell site and ordered her one for free,
as far as the restore utility that you mentioned I think what I read that is
the safest way to go, don't think I am technically inclined enough to do the
reinstallation with the disc. Is the restore utility easy?

DellCA

peewee;3048620 said:
Todd, thank's for the info, I went to dell site and ordered her one fo
free,
as far as the restore utility that you mentioned I think what I rea
that is
the safest way to go, don't think I am technically inclined enough t
do the
reinstallation with the disc. Is the restore utility easy?

Hi,

Yes, the restore utility is very easy.

If you have an XP based system restart it and at the Dell splash scree
(before Windows would begin to load) hold down the <CTRL> button and ta
the <F11> key. That will bring up the utility. Just follow th
prompts on the screen. It should install almost everything for you an
you should only need to answer a few basic questions such as user name
time zone, etc.

If you have a Vista based system tap the <F8> key at the splash scree
instead of the <CTRL><F11> combo.

The utility probably takes about 30 minutes to run and its prett
automated. It does wipe everything off your drive so if possible bac
up any personal data before running it.

Hope this helps.

Todd

Customer Advocate
Dell, Inc

Bill in Co.

But also note that this will only work if the disk has not been
repartitioned, unfortunately. Hopefully s/he didn't do that.