Reinstall of Windows XP

Tom _Hyde

This is a repeat of a message I sent earlier which has failed to appear in
this Newsgroup.

The reinstall of XP on my Inspiron has only been partially
successful, that is, I can still use it but the programs which needed to be
repaired do not function. These are the problems:

1. The Autorun feature on the system disk failed to download the C:I386
folder. (I have since installed I386 manually).
2. Internet Explorer was only partially downloaded and cannot be used.
3 The Help and Support routine cannot access the internet.
4. The Automatic Update fails to work correctly and about 75 KB's fail to
install.

I have inspected some of the log files and these list an astronomical number
of non-functioning items.I have also searched elsewhere for advice, e.g.
Microsoft Support websites and Dell User Forums here,

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&thread.id=194367

To date none of the advice given has solved my problems. If you look at
the
contributions on the Forum page you will see that, initially, I raised the
problems last year when they occurred on my Dimension desktop, but they have
proved to be much more difficult to solve on the Inspiron.

I would be pleased to receive your comments.

T.Hyde

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Tom _Hyde said:
This is a repeat of a message I sent earlier which has failed to appear in
this Newsgroup.

All your messages are visible on this server, as are your
messages in which you claim incorrectly that your posts
never appear here. Several respondents have told you in
detail how to resolve your posting problem.

Daave

Pegasus said:
All your messages are visible on this server, as are your
messages in which you claim incorrectly that your posts
never appear here. Several respondents have told you in
detail how to resolve your posting problem.

Pegasus, I think we're just talking to the wind!

Gary S. Terhune

Unfortunately, this is an endless loop... Can't see messages, can't see
advice on how to see messages.

Thank you for your reply. I have found out why the problem occurs in this
Newsgroup. I was expecting my message and the replies to be kept together
and to be shown in the Newsgroup at a date and time associated with the
latest response. This does not seem to happen when I enter the Newsgroup
via Outkook Express, however, I have found my message and repies by using
the Microsoft Website which I have only been using since yesterday, and it is
via that contact that I am making this response. I still cannot find
either my original message on 21/8/07 at 2.51 pm or the responses on the same
day latest at 3.27 pm if I use Outlook Express.

Furthermore the response of Gary S.Terhune I have located via Outlook
Express and this gives a time of posting of 20.27 on the 21/8/07 but I cannot
find it via the Microsoft website at that time.

Incidentally, there is another difficulty some of the reponses change the
subject title by putting "Re-" in front of the original title and this adds
another complication when looking for a response.

I shall thank Gary for his technical help in his response to my problem via
the Newsgroup in Outlook Express and give a progress report.

T.Hyde

Daave

thyde9337 said:
Thank you for your reply. I have found out why the problem occurs
in this
Newsgroup. I was expecting my message and the replies to be kept
together
and to be shown in the Newsgroup at a date and time associated with
the
latest response. This does not seem to happen when I enter the
Newsgroup
via Outkook Express, however, I have found my message and repies by
using
the Microsoft Website which I have only been using since yesterday,
and it is
via that contact that I am making this response. I still cannot
find
either my original message on 21/8/07 at 2.51 pm or the responses on
the same
day latest at 3.27 pm if I use Outlook Express.

There are tons of posts in this particular newsgroup! You will probably
need to click on the Headers button several times to download enough
headers so that you can see your posts and the replies to them.
Furthermore the response of Gary S.Terhune I have located via Outlook
Express and this gives a time of posting of 20.27 on the 21/8/07 but I
cannot
find it via the Microsoft website at that time.

Do yourself a favor and totally ditch the Web interface, as it makes for
a very frustrating experience!
Incidentally, there is another difficulty some of the reponses change
the
subject title by putting "Re-" in front of the original title and this
adds
another complication when looking for a response.

Re: indicates a reply to your response; this is normal behavior. You may
want to make sure that you are grouping messages by conversation:

View | Current View:
and make sure there is a check mark next to "Group Messages by
Conversation." Also helpful is to make sure there is a checkmark next to
"Show Replies to My Messages."

Using the keyboard combination Ctrl-H can come in handy to toggle back
and forth between posts that only you appear in and all posts.

Also, see this handy guide by another poster named Malke:

Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize that this is
really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you
learn to use a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows,
but you can use Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you
already have it. Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html - The Seven Don'ts of
Usenet
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/index.html - further reading on
Usenet, including recommended reading for netiquette issues
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief
explanation of newsgroups

Using Outlook Express as Newsreader:
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader

How to Post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Also note Usenet posts are archived on Google, so you should be able to
see your posts and responses there as well. Try:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sea...6VNtfe4_K4ZR9D55eO8-AGYTffARY&scoring=d&hl=en

(Or http://shurl.org/ldEqM )

You could also just go to http://groups.google.com/ and "author:tom
_hyde" in the search box (no quotation marks, and note there is a space
between the m and the underscore*).

Finally, it looks like you changed your handle to thyde9337
<[email protected]>

So, you could also search Google posts for author:thyde9337. But from
now on, you'll be much happier if you just use an actual news client to
read and post in these newsgroups. And don't forget to munge your e-mail
address! (You won't be wanting spam I'm sure...)

Good luck!

* If you were searching for posts by tom_hyde rather than tom _hyde,
this might explain why you couldn't find them!

dobey

thyde9337 said:
[...]

<snip>

Try setting the current view of the newsgroup to "Hide read messages", and
you may want to "catch up" in the edit menu.

Chances are you will be seeing a lot of very old messages first, because
Outlook Express will only grab the first 300, and there may be thousands of
messages to go through.

Gary S. Terhune

Setting to "Hide read messages" will just cause more confusion. Best not to.

Tom _Hyde

Thanks for your reply but I have not set "Hide read messages". I have
done some more investigations on the operation of these newsgroups and they
are rather more complicated than I thought. I have discovered that there
are three different ways of opening the newsgroups, as follows:

(1) Open in Outlook Express
(2) Open here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...crosoft.public.internetexplorer.general&fltr=
(3) Open here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...s&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&fltr=

The contents of the Newsgroup may vary depending upon which mode of entry
you use. For example, the message to which I am responding I cannot
find via 2. Not only that sometimes I have found that all of the
twice to me today when I was looking at the Internet Explorer Newsgroup.
This afternoon I raised the matter of discrepancies between the contents of
the newsgroup depending upon which mode of entry I used.

T.Hyde

Bob I

To add to the confusion, you may also access them through Google groups
and quite a few "forum portals".

Thank you to all of the contributors who have sent messages to this thread.
I have checked the settings for my Newsgroups in Outlook Express which, in
fact, needed no changes. That is, I have not checked "Hide Read Messages"
and I have checked "Group Messages by Conversation" because I want to
continue to read any further contributions to the same threads. I have
been using Outlook Express to read messages to Newsgroups far longer than I
have used the ISP entries but I prefer the layout on web-pages and, in fact,
I use different user names on them.

I do not wish to prolong the discussion too much but I still find that there
are differences between the listing of the messages depending upon the mode
of entry I use to reach the discussion group. I am sending this message
using the Reply icon on the page located via an ISP (Avant) but I also have
open the same discussion group page reached using Outlook Express.
However, there is no trace of the thread in Outlook Express even though I
have searched several days up and down and located many common messages on
both pages but there are also several differences. There are some messages
from other contributors that are missing, is it possible that I could have
erased them? If so, I can only plead ignorance. I am sure that I will be
able to locate this reply via the browser entry but I doubt if I will find it
via Outlook Express.

I think it is now time to call a halt to this discussion since it no longer
bears any relevance to the title.

T.Hyde

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thyde9337

Open this newsgroup in Outlook Express. Click Tools/Synchronize Newsgroup,
in the pop up dialog, select All Messages. This should download all of the
current messages for the newsgroup.

Next, click on View/Current View/Show all messages. Click on View/Current
View/Show replies to my messages. This should show any replies to threads
where you have posted. The unread messages should be in the Bold font.