Registry Recovery message when booting windows

Robert

Occasionally, I get a warning message right after I boot my system. The
heading is "Windows - Registry Recovery". The message is "One of the files
containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or
alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

This seems like a problem. Can someone tell me what is happening?

I have Windows XP Home updated with SP2. I think the system is clean.

Thanks, Robert

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting here.

The issue can be caused that the some registry keys on the computer were
damaged. To restore registry keys, the best way is to reinstall Windows XP
to completely any conflict at one time.

However, before doing Windows XP reinstallation, let¡¯s perform the
following steps to see if we can restore registry keys:

Note: Please create a system restore point before doing the following steps:

1. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot device.
You may refer to your computer manual for information on how to do this.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.

3. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press a key
to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

4. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it checks your hardware and
then prompts you with the following options.

*To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
*To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
*To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Please press R to Enter the Recovery Console.

6. Type 1 to choose the first operating system and type in the password for
the Administrator account. Press Enter.

Note: If you did not set the "Administrator" password in the Windows XP
installation process, please press Enter directly.

7. You will find the C:\WINDOWS prompt.

8. Type in the following command to replace the corrupt files:

cd system32

cd config

ren system system.old

ren software software.old

ren security security.old

copy \windows\repair\software

copy \windows\repair\system

copy \windows\repair\security

exit

9. Reboot the computer and then try again.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Robert" <[email protected]>
Subject: Registry Recovery message when booting windows
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 08:07:48 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Occasionally, I get a warning message right after I boot my system.
The
heading is "Windows - Registry Recovery". The message is "One of the
files
containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a
log or
alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

This seems like a problem. Can someone tell me what is happening?

I have Windows XP Home updated with SP2. I think the system is clean.

Thanks, Robert

Robert

Bob, thanks for the information. One more question - why do I only see the
message occasionally? I see it in only one of perhaps ten or twenty boots.

Thanks again, Robert

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Robert,

Frankly speaking, it is hard to determine the root cause of this issue. One
possible cause can be that when system shut down, it save something wrong
in the registry. Sometimes it can be hardware related.

Thank you agian for using our Newsgroup!

From: "Robert" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:43:41 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Bob, thanks for the information. One more question - why do I only
see the
message occasionally? I see it in only one of perhaps ten or twenty
boots.

Thanks again, Robert

Ron Martell

Robert said:
Occasionally, I get a warning message right after I boot my system. The
heading is "Windows - Registry Recovery". The message is "One of the files
containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or
alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

This seems like a problem. Can someone tell me what is happening?

I have Windows XP Home updated with SP2. I think the system is clean.

Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert.

I would suggest that you hold off on the repair suggested by Bob Qin,
at least temporarily. And if you do decide to follow through with
his suggestion then you should be aware that doing so will seriously
backdate your system registry, causing all sorts of complications with
installed applications and the changes made by Service Pack 2. At a
minimum you should do a System Restore to bring the computer back to a
recent date when it was working properly.

Because your problem is intermittent this indicates that a hardware
related cause is the prime suspect. Software issues, including actual
registry corruption, tend to be consistent and I would expect that an
actual registry data problem would result in the error occurring on
every startup.

Defective RAM has been known to cause registry errors, and that is the
first thing I think you should check for. Here are a couple of free
memory testing utilities that you can download and run to check out
the RAM in your computer:

DocMemory http://www.simmtester.com
Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Alex Nichol

Bob said:
The issue can be caused that the some registry keys on the computer were
damaged. To restore registry keys, the best way is to reinstall Windows XP
to completely any conflict at one time.

However, before doing Windows XP reinstallation, let¡¯s perform the
following steps to see if we can restore registry keys:

That methods (as given in KB 307545) restores the registry made at
initial Setup. It is a means of getting the system working *somehow* so
that other steps can be taken (for example to back up data files), and
unless it is followed by a System Restore back to a good recent registry
will leave a system having no installed third party software - because
their registry entries will have been deleted.

In this case two courses of action suggest themselves first; one is a
System Restore to take the system back a short time; a day of so before
the problem surfaced preferably; and follow by a CHKDSK run on the disk

Robert

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions. I am not rushing to rebuild the
system, considering the message shows up only occasionally and has not yet
caused a real problem. It was a reminder, however, to back up all important
files. I too am suspicious of hardware problems, but the Dell diagnostics
programs have so far found everything to be in good order, including memory.
I will keep running them. I am also suspicious of a networked printer
driver. If you have any other ideas I appreciate hearing from you.
Meanwhile, thanks again.

Robert

Robert

It turned out to be a hardware problem after all, specifically, the sound
card (which did not come with the Dell computer but which I added two years
ago and worked fine until now).

Details: after many warnings, the XP system finally became unbootable due to
a corrupt registry. So, I reformatted the hard disk, reinstalled Win XP,
updated to SP2, installed some drivers, applications and data backups. The
computer ran perfectly for two days. I still needed to add some stuff and
when I got around to adding the sound card driver, that miserable registry
recovery message started popping up again. AHA! I uninstalled the sound
driver, pulled the sound card and set the BIOS to use the on-board sound. My
computer is now running flawlessly.

Maybe this will help someone.
Robert

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your great informaiton sharing! I am very impressed that you
have found the cause.