From: "BarryC" <[email protected]>
Sender: "BarryC" <[email protected]>
Subject: Registry editor closes out after 1 or 2 seconds!
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:45:26 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

Hello,
This is the most annoying thing. My registry editor won't
stay open for more than a second or two. I open it and it
closes out right away. What's going on? And how do I fix
the problem? Thanks,
Barry

Barry -

This behavior is common when a system is infected with W32.Spybot.Worm.

It infects the task manager and other system tools such as msconfig and
regedit, causing them to close automatically.

You can try downloading something like Spybot Search and Destroy, and
that may take care of it, or follow the removal instructions here (beware of
line-wrap):

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

Hope this helps,

Derek Wirch, MCSE+I (NT 4.0), MCP (Win2k)
Microsoft Exchange Support Engineer
Enterprise Messaging Support - Admin
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Please respond in the group, so all users may benefit.

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there.

SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please subscribe to the FREE Microsoft® Security Notification Service on
http://register.microsoft.com/subscription/subscribeme.asp?ID=135 an e-mail
alert service geared toward IT professionals. We use this service to notify
subscribers when we release an important security bulletin or virus alert,
and also to make them aware that they might need to take action to guard
against a circulating threat. You should also bookmark Microsoft Security
Bulletin's page available at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/
to view all our bulletins. To insure you are current with all security
patches visit Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to
install patches. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will
keep you up-to-date.

Derek Wirch [MSFT]

From: "BarryC" <[email protected]>
Sender: "BarryC" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:45:26 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

[...]

Barry C

Thanks for your reply. I can't imagine how the computer
got this worm. All infected email messages and attachments
are taken care of automatically.
I have Spybot Search & Destroy and Noadware, and neither
has found this thing. I have Panda Titanium antivirus, but
it hasn't been updated in nearly a year. There's been a
problem with the proxy server IP address or some such
thing. I have to talk to my dad and get that info
corrected.
Thanks.