From: "Rock" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: How to change user name
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:35:34 -0700

Sue said:
When I installed Windows I created a user name that I would now like
change. This is the name that appears under documents and settings as
folder name, and I am sure in other places as well. How do I do this?

Changing the profile name as suggested by Malcolm will not change the
folder name under Documents and Settings. The procedure to follow is to
create a new profile with the name you want. Login to it at least once,
then copy the data and settings from the old profile to the new. Work
with the new profile. If things are working ok, then delete the old
one. Here are some links for how to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

How to Copy a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

___

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Hello,
I recently purchased a second hand laptop from a friend running on Windows
xp.
The thing is the laptop is registered under his name and when I try and
change the name of the folders it does not allow mme do this, is there
anyway
I can change the registration to my name or do I have to do a complete new
install.

With a second hand computer I recommend you do a clean install. That way
you don't inherit any of the operating problems, quirks, peculiarities of
setup, malware and other nasties such as child porn.

Rock

Hello,
I recently purchased a second hand laptop from a friend running on Windows
xp.
The thing is the laptop is registered under his name and when I try and
change the name of the folders it does not allow mme do this, is there
anyway
I can change the registration to my name or do I have to do a complete new
install.

Additionally, if you choose not to install the OS clean, but create a new
account in the name you want, here is a link to information on changing the
owners name and organization.

http://www.dougknox.com/
Win XP Utilities
Change Owner and Organization

Bruce Chambers

gac1967 said:
Hello,
I recently purchased a second hand laptop from a friend running on Windows xp.
The thing is the laptop is registered under his name and when I try and
change the name of the folders it does not allow mme do this, is there anyway
I can change the registration to my name or do I have to do a complete new
install.
Thanks.

With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
but perhaps even if acquired from a family member or friend, your wisest
course of action would definitely be to format the hard drives and start
fresh. You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may
have filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because
the original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP, you can use
Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some read
the registered owner information dynamically, while others read it only
during installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: