Refurbished Drives vs NEW

computer stuff

I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

kony

I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I have a couple of refurb'd Maxtor drives, still running fine 2 years
later. Their (now) lower speed and capacity make them less desirable for
any use compared to several other, newer Maxtor drives here. I've sold at
least a couple of refurbed Maxtors too, should be roughly 4 years old now
but I can't be certain they still work or are even in service instead of
being replaced/upgraded/etc, but AFAIK they still work fine.

I doubt you'd be able to get valid estimate of MTBF for any given
generation of refurb'd drive except from Maxtor, but that they wouldn't
release that info, and even if they did it may not be all that applicable
to any particular refurb'd drive, since the prior hours of use, handling,
and failure mode may vary, in addition to the variability in usage and
environment after it was refurb'd. Also consider that with drives 2 years
old but a 3 year warranty (which ended for several models shipped after
Oct.1, 2002) after another year has passed the warranty has expired,
Maxtor isn't even going to be aware of the failures of many refurb'd
drives before that (5 year) interval you mention has elapsed.

I'd use a new drive for valuable data, not a refurb. For less important
data you might put it in a low-importance use to confirm that it continues
operating properly for at least a couple months, and by all means run the
Maxtor diagnostics on it.

Will Dormann

computer said:
I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

I've had Maxtor drives that were dying, would show errors in PowerMax,
but then be "fixed" and pass the Factory Re-certification test of the
same software. It would be OK for a week or two and then go back to
having errors. I had originally purchased a new Maxtor, and RMA'd it
several times. Each time they gave me a refurbished replacement. My
latest replacement drive was a new one because it failed within a period
of 30 days. It's still running OK.

Personally, I would never consider consider purchasing a refurbished
Maxtor drive. Nor would I purchase a new one, but that's just me! ;-)

-WD

Al Dykes

I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I've lived with a few hundred IDE disks, since about 1993. A couple
died of old age. Only one died in the first couple years, when I
opened up the box to replace it I found the disk had a
REMANUFACTURERED sticker on it. That was the only refurb disk in the
we had.

FWIW

Matt

computer said:
I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

About a month ago I bought a new retail boxed WD800JB (80GB) at
OfficeMax for $20 after rebate.

Randy

I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

At $50 for a new 80GB Western Digital why bother? I had a new Maztor
that wouldn't start up sometimes. I would boot the computer and hear a
squeel coming from it. I got rid of it and replaced it with a Western
Digital and saw my hard drive access much faster according to HD Tach
even though both drives were 7200 RPM. Had heard bad things about
Maxtors in the past but Western Digital was sitting on their ass with
5400 RPM drives while Maxtor had 7200 RPM drives so bought one.
Never again.

William W. Plummer

Randy said:
At $50 for a new 80GB Western Digital why bother? I had a new Maztor
that wouldn't start up sometimes. I would boot the computer and hear a
squeel coming from it. I got rid of it and replaced it with a Western
Digital and saw my hard drive access much faster according to HD Tach
even though both drives were 7200 RPM. Had heard bad things about
Maxtors in the past but Western Digital was sitting on their ass with
5400 RPM drives while Maxtor had 7200 RPM drives so bought one.
Never again.

Single cases don't prove anything. For instance, I have several Maxtor
drives and they are fine.

Peter

I was just wondering what people's experiences are with refurbished
Maxtor drives in terms of lifespan/defect rate compared to brand new
ones. What are the odds of a 5 year life span on a refurb.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I've got a 60Gb Maxtor Diamondmax 9 (7,200rpm) refurb (I think). The
old one fired, so I sent it off and got this one in a sealed packet.
It doesn't say refurb anywhere on it, but I think they're supposed to
be refurbed ones. For some reason the refurb has been quieter than
the original one. I'm not sure if this is bad, the original didn't
die due to mechanical defects though, electronic.

Randy

Single cases don't prove anything. For instance, I have several Maxtor
drives and they are fine.

What part of "Had heard bad things about Maxtors in the past" don't
you understand. Your single of several drives doesn't prove anything.

harpoo

Single cases don't prove anything. For instance, I have several Maxtor
drives and they are fine.

This is true... Single cases are never truth-telling, but I would
recommend NOT buying a refurbished one. Keep your eyes open for deals
around different websites, etc... I know the staples website has a
deal finder/weekly special page that often features this type of
hardware... I would check these types of places first, before buying
refurbished....

bencon

Not to distrust you, but I bet it wasn't a refurb... If it is super
smooth, I bet it is new... Where did you get it?

The only way I would get a refurb in the first place would be if it
were yours, and say you took it to be serviced at a staples and they
refurbished your own drive...

Moe Hair

(e-mail address removed) (bencon) opened in
The only way I would get a refurb in the first place would be if it
were yours, and say you took it to be serviced at a staples and they
refurbished your own drive...

With the rebates and the net price comparison sites, you should always buy
new. Storage has never been so cheap.

Check Bestbuy.com, Compusa, Office Max and Staples on a regular basis.

Peter

Not to distrust you, but I bet it wasn't a refurb... If it is super
smooth, I bet it is new... Where did you get it?

Sent the old one off to Maxtor and got a sealed one returned. In my
:)
The only way I would get a refurb in the first place would be if it
were yours, and say you took it to be serviced at a staples and they
refurbished your own drive...

Staples can't refurb drives, can they? As far as I know, there are
probably very few places other than the maufacturers capable of
refurbing hard drives. If it's a problem with the platters etc then
they're going to need a clean room.

Peter

Peter said:
(e-mail address removed) (bencon) wrote in message

Sent the old one off to Maxtor and got a sealed one returned. In my
:)

Staples can't refurb drives, can they? As far as I know, there are
probably very few places other than the maufacturers capable of
refurbing hard drives. If it's a problem with the platters etc then
they're going to need a clean room.

I don't really know what "refurbing" a drive means. I could mean running a
program that scans the entire disk for bad spots and maps those out of use.
That is a totally software operation. Or, it could mean tearing the disk
apart physically, and reoiling the bearings, etc. That would be labor
intensive and would probably be more expensive than just assembling a new
drive, which will bring a higher price and be guranteed to work without the
pall of "refurbished". Staples could do the former but it's not their
business.