Refresh all links

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to refresh all links in a Powerpoint 2007 presentation. If this requires a macro that is totally fine. Does anyone have any ideas?

What I have is a presentation that needs to be updated frequently by Excel tables produced automatically. The report pulls in Excel data but I need to update each chart/table on its own and there are hundreds. I am looking for a good way to improve this process.

Thanks in advance.

Additional info: I am using Windows XP.

Reaction score
I found the answer to this. Click the Office button in the top left corner. Under "Print" click "Prepare" and then go to "Edit links to files". If you don't see this option then it's because your charts/tables aren't linked, they are embedded. You can get around that by copy/pasting your charts from PPT into Excel and then setting the references properly and then pasting them back into PPT. Now if you go to "Edit data" for the chart, it should open your Excel document (it needs to be saved for this to work, of course). You can't do it the same way with tables/worksheets, you need to entirely recreate them (if you created them embedded in the first place, the way I did).

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in Powerpoint 2010.
I had pasted linked excel charts, but they only updated when the excel file was opened.
Apparently the default setting is for the charts to update manually, so even if you select yes to update when the presentation opens, it doesnt update those charts!

To fix this go to:
FILE > INFO > SHOW ALL PROPERTIES > EDIT LINKS TO FILES
and set them all to Automatic.

:)

Reaction score
I had a similar issue in Powerpoint 2010.
I had pasted linked excel charts, but they only updated when the excel file was opened.
Apparently the default setting is for the charts to update manually, so even if you select yes to update when the presentation opens, it doesnt update those charts!

To fix this go to:
FILE > INFO > SHOW ALL PROPERTIES > EDIT LINKS TO FILES
and set them all to Automatic.

:)
I am having the same issue as above, I had the links set to automatic but when I send I want to break the links so it doesn't give the update option for the person who is viewing the powerpoint, unfortunately it sets the links to null and it will still initiate the message box to update and 'break' if the user hits update links

Ask a Question