RED X images: baffled

Todd W. Roat

Ive been buidling presentations for what seems to be forever. All of
a sudden, when I use Insert, Picture, From File, after saving and
reopening I'm getting Red X's everywhere. Images are even in the same
folder as the presentation itself. Never experienced this before.
Kinda fishy. Thought?
Todd

Steve Rindsberg

Todd W. Roat said:
Ive been buidling presentations for what seems to be forever. All of
a sudden, when I use Insert, Picture, From File, after saving and
reopening I'm getting Red X's everywhere. Images are even in the same
folder as the presentation itself. Never experienced this before.
Kinda fishy. Thought?

- Try the Glare Test. Power the PC down, glare at it for five minutes, power
it up. Sounds idiotic but really does fix things sometimes.

- Any service packs applied recently? Other software changes?

- Anything different about the images? Sometimes leading edge Photoshop file
format filters give PowerPoint's import filters the willies. Maybe try saving
to a different format as a test and inserting those.

- Lunch at Skyline? It might be the onions. The little images are so
sensitive to smells, poor dears.

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com

Todd W. Roat

Was able to , somehow, fix them. I did copy them into Photoshop,
resave them as same file type I tried a bunch of different stuff, not
really sure what did it. Think different attempts fixed different
images. I did kick it once.

Of not, possible clue, is I did realize that the original may have
come from a MAC!!!!!!

Steve Rindsberg

Was able to , somehow, fix them. I did copy them into Photoshop,
resave them as same file type I tried a bunch of different stuff, not
really sure what did it. Think different attempts fixed different
images. I did kick it once.

Of not, possible clue, is I did realize that the original may have
come from a MAC!!!!!!

And kicking it fixed it? Well, there ya go. If you can't kick it, what's a Mac good
for?

Oh, wait, you meant that you kicked the PC? They deserve it too.

What you might do when in doubt:

-Open the original image in anything that'll open it.
-Save it as BMP
-Import that into PPT.

PPT converts it to a PNG internally, so the PPT file size won't grow by near as much
as it might appear from the size of the BMP.

Or keep an old copy of something like JASC's PaintShop Pro around. I still keep v4 on
the machine for just this reason. It seems to open most anything I throw at it, and
PPT's never choked on anything I've saved from it.