recurring virus

Andre

I have lately had a wave of viruses on my computer... they were really
screwing with my computer so I went into safe mode and downloaded Dr.
Web (a very good Russian antivirus program) and scanned with it. Dr.
Web deleted several viruses, like Backdoor.Ferat.10 and
Backdoor.Fearless.101 among others.

However, when I finish scanning with it, and start up my computer,
Norton Antivirus starts complaining about a file called STEALTHEX1.dll
(and a few others by similar names) in my WINDOWS/system32 folder.
Once again, I went into safe mode, deleted the files, but when I
started up again, Norton kept complaining about them. Apparently they
had recreated themselves during my reboot. I went into safe mode once
again, and did a full system scan with Norton. It detected the
STEALTHEX1.DLL files (there's an exe, and a few dll files) and
supposedly deleted them. But, unfortunately, after I started up in
normal mode the files are back.

Norton says these are of type "Trojan Horse" but I cannot find
anything on the internet about this type of virus. Does anybody have
suggestions about how I may get rid of it?

Thank you so much -- If you have any suggestions you may also email
me.
Andre

Duane Arnold

(e-mail address removed) (Andre) wrote in @posting.google.com:
[...]

If your machine has been compromised this badly, how can you trust
anything on it?

Of course, this is just my take on it, *Reformat* comes to mind. And then
one should look into *prevention* and safe practices.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

Duane :)

taff

[...]

This program should clear up the trojan problems. Re-format is a last
resort when you cannot clean out virus or trojan files. The majority
of problems have a cure.
Trojans are often seen by anti virus programs but not all can be
cleaned by them.
Spybot is a dedicated Trojan and malware removal program which will
work on almost all trojans.
Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=mirrors

Install and update before running.
Also, running 2 AV programs at the same time can cause problems. I
would uninstall the russian program and stay with Norton.

Taff..............

www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

kurt wismer

Andre wrote:
[snip]
Norton says these are of type "Trojan Horse" but I cannot find
anything on the internet about this type of virus. Does anybody have
suggestions about how I may get rid of it?

apparently the trojan has been 'installed'... simply deleting the files
may no longer be enough... since norton detects this thing it should
also give it a name (no, not a file name, a malware name) that you can
search on symantec.com for and find specific removal instructions...

[...]

Unfortunately, I have too much information on this computer to attempt
reformatting right now. Maybe if nothing else works... but as for all
your suggestions: Spybot has already run on my computer, and found
nothing. Kurt, the virus had no "name" when Norton detected it, it
was just presented as "Trojan Horse". Perhaps if I boot from a CD?
Someone else suggested that this might clear it from the memory, as I
cannot find any registry entries or directions in win.ini or
system.ini that tell it to reinstall itself.

A program called TrojanGuard ran on my computer and detected it as
well... said "a trojan by the name of stealthex.exe has been detected
on your computer... would you like me to delete it?" and I said yes,
of course, but when I rebooted in normal mode it came back.

About the two antivirus programs - I only use the Russian one to scan,
not to be open at all times. I would rather not delete this program,
as it pretty much saved me from total destruction, and deleted almost
every virus on my computer (besides this one), all of which norton did
not detect, and could not detect because one of the viruses kept
shutting it down.

(e-mail address removed) (Andre) wrote in message

[...]

I make it a point and I have always used this practice. I never keep
anything on the machine I am not willing to wipe out the machine.

I'll wipe a machine in a New York minute and won't look back. <g>

Duane :)