Recurring error messages in FP 2003 - "Couldn't open file ..."

E

Eric G

Hi,

Working in FP 2003 (XPP SP-2), I very often get an error message, like:

"Couldn't open file C:\Documents and Settings\User_Profile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\FrontPageTempDir\2bc715b4.htm".

It appears to happen on FP pages that have a number of "include" statements on a page, like:

"../include/headers_footers/include_header.htm".

After I have pressed ESC the same number of times as I have "include" statements on the page, the page loads correctly.

If I close FP and restart it immediately afterwards, the offending page loads perfectly, with no error messages. Then I can work for a few hours, or sometimes only minutes, and then the same error messages appear again.

The "FrontPageTempDir" is in its original location on the c: drive and is available at all times. The FP application also resides in its original location on the c: drive in the "Program Files" directory, while the development site is located on my d: drive. I have plenty of memory (2Gb) and ample disk space available on all my drives.

I might be wrong, but I cannot remember this happening before I applied the XPP SP-2, but it might just be a coincidence - that it started just after the update. I have also applied the Office SP-1.

I've checked the net and the MS Knowledgebase, but can't find anything on the subject.

Any ideas what may cause these error messages?

Eric G

Stockholm, Sweden

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Known "sporadic" bug in FP
Just hit the OK key until the errors clear & then hit the F5 key to refresh the page

--

Hi,

Working in FP 2003 (XPP SP-2), I very often get an error message, like:

"Couldn't open file C:\Documents and Settings\User_Profile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\FrontPageTempDir\2bc715b4.htm".

It appears to happen on FP pages that have a number of "include" statements on a page, like:

"../include/headers_footers/include_header.htm".

After I have pressed ESC the same number of times as I have "include" statements on the page, the page loads correctly.

If I close FP and restart it immediately afterwards, the offending page loads perfectly, with no error messages. Then I can work for
a few hours, or sometimes only minutes, and then the same error messages appear again.

The "FrontPageTempDir" is in its original location on the c: drive and is available at all times. The FP application also resides in
its original location on the c: drive in the "Program Files" directory, while the development site is located on my d: drive. I have
plenty of memory (2Gb) and ample disk space available on all my drives.

I might be wrong, but I cannot remember this happening before I applied the XPP SP-2, but it might just be a coincidence - that it
started just after the update. I have also applied the Office SP-1.

I've checked the net and the MS Knowledgebase, but can't find anything on the subject.

Any ideas what may cause these error messages?

Eric G

Stockholm, Sweden

E

Eric G

Thanks Stefan,

I had an inkling that it was something like that, as I found no cause as
such for the behavior, and also quite a few questions about it on the net,
but no good, or conclusive, answers. It also explains why there apparently
is not one single word about it in the MS Knowledgebase.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Regards,

Eric G

Stockholm, Sweden

Ask a Question