Recording sounds on 4 separate tracks/channels in PowerPoint XP

I want to be able to record sounds and voices on any of four separate tracks/channels in PowerPoint (basicially quadraphonic sound). This would be more of a gimic where I would have 4 speakers set up in each corner of the room and, to be able to keep the audiences' attention, have a recorded voice unexpectedly comment on a slide - or - have a plane "fly" over the audience, etc
Yes, my presentations must be boring to resort to something like this
Thanks for your help!

Glen Millar

Hi,

Maybe you should work on really cool animations to get their attention?
<grin>

I'm not sure PowerPoint can handle 4 channels. (Man it is bucketing down
here! I'll have to yell over the noise).

You will need to maybe link your presentation to a CD track of the sounds,
and configure PowerPoint to play it. Then your computer will need to be
externally connected to your sound system. By the way, I love surround sound
including quadraphonic. They tell me that children growing up in the country
are much better at picking the direction of where a sound is coming from,
because they aren't used to junk sound all around them.

Glen Millar
Microsoft PPT MVP
http://www.powerpointworkbench.com/
Please tell us your ppt version, and get back to us here
Remove spaces from signature
Posted to news://msnews.microsoft.com

PZ Straube said:
I want to be able to record sounds and voices on any of four separate
tracks/channels in PowerPoint (basicially quadraphonic sound). This would
be more of a gimic where I would have 4 speakers set up in each corner of
the room and, to be able to keep the audiences' attention, have a recorded
voice unexpectedly comment on a slide - or - have a plane "fly" over the
audience, etc.

Austin Myers

No, PowerPoint can't do this natively. You will need to record your sound
tracks with another application and then use Insert > Sound > From file.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

PZ Straube said:
I want to be able to record sounds and voices on any of four separate
tracks/channels in PowerPoint (basicially quadraphonic sound). This would
be more of a gimic where I would have 4 speakers set up in each corner of
the room and, to be able to keep the audiences' attention, have a recorded
voice unexpectedly comment on a slide - or - have a plane "fly" over the
audience, etc.

The whole idea of sound with direction -- stereo sound is a neat theory,
quad doubly so.

Let's start with the basics.
1. PowerPoint does not play the sound, it gives it to Windows to play.
2. Windows, in turn, hands the sound file to the sound card to play.
3. So the first question is, can your sound card handle quad channel sound?

4. Can your computer also handle the extra processor demand for quad +
PowerPoint and still deliver smooth transitions?

5. We now know if your system can handle it, and I'll assume you have some
really cool "Dark Side of the Moon" type quad tracks you are able to use.
Now the question is, should you? Ask yourself, does this effect benefit the
presentations main point and topic. If it is just a gimmick, you will
probably be better off without it. It is far better to WOW them with
content rather than with toys.

Just my thoughts,