recording LPs and tapes

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've lost track of the thread where Quadophile mentioned using a NAD3225PE as part of their set up.
I'm looking for some basic connection info re: recording vinyl onto CD (ironically, even if my stereo CD was working, it's way too old to play CD-Rs).
Anyway,
I have Sound Blaster Live 5.1, a NAD 3225PE, a Dual turntable, a NAD 6340, a monstrously long stereo (double ends) RCA cable (I have put a 1/4" stereo pin adapter to plug into sound card - not sure which hole tho!), and a lot of vinyl - after living away from this town for a while, discovered used record store still in business, hurrah...
Points - like to know:
which port I use on the sound card,
ummm....where the line out is on the amp.
(I feel like an idiot - PC's are no longer a mystery, on the other hand the back of the amp is a vast darkness full of snakes - guess I've spent a million more minutes taking PC apart and putting together, compared to dragging stereo cabinet off the wall, ack.)

I'm checking out some software as well, if anyone has used Groove Mechanic, let me know what you thought.
I have the standard Windows and Creative recording programs, I also still use shareware Cool Edit 96 (taken over by Adobe, software now costs some hundreds of dollars!). Mostly interested in archiving my albums, antsy playing them because I don't know where to get new needles for turntable.

Also, any info on replacing Sony 1-hole CD player (it seems to be marking my favourite CDs so stopped using it) with something built in this century, cool if it plays both DVDs, music CDs, and CD-Rs - needs to be available in Canada.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The input to your sound card goes in the Line In socket. You'll need a two x phono plug to stereo 3.5mm jack to connect the tape record sockets on your amp to the sound card.

If you already have a long twin phono to phono lead, you'll need a converter, two phono sockets to 3.5mm jack plug. You can get these items at electronic suppliers such as Maplins or on line computer parts suppliers.

And you'll need some software.

Here's a link to an article I wrote for another Forum some time ago, it will probably help.

Recording Vinyl to mp3 & WAV

Reaction score
hiya

im trying to put one of my favourate tapes onto a cd

ive connected up my hi-fi properly as i can hear the tape through my pc speakers.

ive just had a look at that Flopps post and that software u got there yes its v good but its expired on my pc the tirail has run out it wants me to register and pay.

does anyone know of any other freeware software that i can use to copy my tape to a cd?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
dbPoweramp is free, there's no trial version as far as I know, it's a complete freebie.

Did you follow that link in my last post above to an article I wrote for another forum? That explains things nicely.

You will need the basic dbPower amp and the auxillary module to take a line in signal from your cassette deck.

Reaction score
come on sir mucks

u should know by now im a chav here prob the only one on pcr!!! thanks bt not thanks

flops that auxilliary thing is telling me my 30 days are up
im telling u its def not 100% freeware......

Reaction score
yes i did follow that link aswell

one message every 30 secs lol!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99:

I have the free versions of dbPoweramp.

Tomorrow, I will PM you, I'm knackered right now.

You got an FTP Program?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just checked out dbPoweramp's homepage and it does look as if he's charging for it now. Bummer :(

Try Cdex (do a Google) I've never used it myself but I do hear lots of good things about it.

Not sure if it can record line-in though.

Not to worry though, we'll get the freebie versions of dbPoweramp to you one way or another.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here ya go, 2.3Mb zip file dbPoweramp

There's also the freebie version of regcleaner in there, you may want to use that to remove all traces of your existing version of dbpa. The software is made by 'Illustrate' so look for that name.

And also check C/Program files for any folders it may have left behind.

I'll leave it hosted for a few days, then delete.

Reaction score
cheers flops

just installed the thing its is working fine nice one ! :) :thumb:

just going through each song now

there are 7-8 songs and all i want to do is burn all these to one CD
so all i got to do is just invidividually record each song then damp will convert the thing to mp3 then i got to use windows media player to burn the songs to cd?

am i correct?

the only problem i see here is the size of the FILES.!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Best thing to do is:

1) Create a folder where you want to store your songs.
2) Open dmc auxillary module
3) Click on options, set path to that folder
4) Click on the little arrow to the right of 'Record' select record format, WAV or mp3
5) Play your cassette deck then select 'set record level' and set the record level
You want the level going a little way into the red.
6) Right click on 'Track 01' and name your file
7) Fill in any relevant information in top boxes if you want to
8) Press record button, then use 'Record' in that window to turn the recorder on and off, as you would a cassette deck pause button

Reaction score
yes thanks just recorded all the songs they are in mp3 format
and they aint too big either

job well done!
except for my error in the registry cleaner!!!
see out post in support section!

Reaction score
Help!

Floppy

You seem to be the one in the know.

I am trtying to convert tape to MP3. I have connected my stereo with 2 phono to 3.5 mm.

But I get no sound. There are three sockets on the back of my PC. My PC speakers are in the middle slot and have tried the 3.5mm connector in both other slots but get no sound. I have adjusted the volume on line in to max.

How do I know if I have a line in as in your insrtuctions. Is it possible I have no line in?

JIm

floppybootstomp said:
Best thing to do is:

1) Create a folder where you want to store your songs.
2) Open dmc auxillary module
3) Click on options, set path to that folder
4) Click on the little arrow to the right of 'Record' select record format, WAV or mp3
5) Play your cassette deck then select 'set record level' and set the record level
You want the level going a little way into the red.
6) Right click on 'Track 01' and name your file
7) Fill in any relevant information in top boxes if you want to
8) Press record button, then use 'Record' in that window to turn the recorder on and off, as you would a cassette deck pause button

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Jim, there are a few things to try.

Assuming your desk speakers are working OK and they're only using one socket, your red socket will be for a microphone, don't use that one, use the other, normally coloured blue.

How, exactly, have you connected your stereo? What sort of stereo is it?

From the amplifier, you'd want a record out phono connection but the best way is to connect the line out straight from a cassette deck.

Check your sound set up via control panel or sound card software and make sure Line In and/or Aux In are enabled, also select this as your recording source.

Reaction score
Help!

Cheers Floppy,

I dont think I have an output from my stereo. I have it connected from stereo through phono but only socket is a VCR/AUX by that there is a button saying VCR/AUX input level, so I assume I need one of those pre-amp things.

Cheers

Jim

Reaction score
Help!

Floppy

I ahve just connected my stereo with phono leads to PC using the suirrond speakers. I now have sound through my desktops speakers but there is a buzz.

I am trying to rercord from tape, do I need one of those earth things?>

Jim

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your VCR/AUX socket is an input socket, it's there to take sound in, not feed it out, that's why you can't hear anything ;)

Do you have a rec out set of phono sockets on your stereo system? And again, what type of stereo is it? All-in-one or seperates?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
jimmybbcfc said:
Floppy

I ahve just connected my stereo with phono leads to PC using the suirrond speakers. I now have sound through my desktops speakers but there is a buzz.

I am trying to rercord from tape, do I need one of those earth things?>

Jim

You've lost me now..... :confused:

Ask a Question