Recent Vista Start Problem

R

Richard in AZ

About 3 weeks ago, my Vista computer started to give me problems at start up.
It will start and complete the POST, then it display the words "Starting Windows Vista" (at the
bottom of the screen) flash the hard-drive activity light for a few second and then freeze. A
reboot gives me the option of safe mode, normal start, etc. If I choose any start option but the
Safe Mode, it will freeze at the same point.

However if I choose Safe Mode, it completes the setup. Then, without any action while in the Safe
Mode, I choose Shut down - Restart and it does a normal startup and runs just fine until I shut down
again.

Just before it started this problem I was working on getting it to share files on my home network.
I had loaded Network Wizard software. I have since removed Network Wizard and did a system restore
to point prior to this activity. However the problem continues.

This is a shop test machine and I do not access it but about three times a week (for learning Vista
to help other with computer problems. All my other machines have Windows XP.)
I could re-install Vista, but I would rather learn what is causing this problem.
Any suggested steps would be appreciated.

Computer is a home built PC. 1.2 GHz Intel CPU, 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB WD drive, two CD drives and a
wireless PCI NIC card.
This computer case has a three way switch to select one of 3 hard drives. So with three separate
hard drives, the computer also runs Windows XP Pro and XandRos Linux system. I don't have any
startup problems with either of the other two configurations. (Note all hardware is identical,
except the hard drives in all three systems.)

D

David

Richard said:
About 3 weeks ago, my Vista computer started to give me problems at start up.
It will start and complete the POST, then it display the words "Starting Windows Vista" (at the
bottom of the screen) flash the hard-drive activity light for a few second and then freeze. A
reboot gives me the option of safe mode, normal start, etc. If I choose any start option but the
Safe Mode, it will freeze at the same point.

However if I choose Safe Mode, it completes the setup. Then, without any action while in the Safe
Mode, I choose Shut down - Restart and it does a normal startup and runs just fine until I shut down
again.

Just before it started this problem I was working on getting it to share files on my home network.
I had loaded Network Wizard software. I have since removed Network Wizard and did a system restore
to point prior to this activity. However the problem continues.

This is a shop test machine and I do not access it but about three times a week (for learning Vista
to help other with computer problems. All my other machines have Windows XP.)
I could re-install Vista, but I would rather learn what is causing this problem.
Any suggested steps would be appreciated.

Computer is a home built PC. 1.2 GHz Intel CPU, 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB WD drive, two CD drives and a
wireless PCI NIC card.
This computer case has a three way switch to select one of 3 hard drives. So with three separate
hard drives, the computer also runs Windows XP Pro and XandRos Linux system. I don't have any
startup problems with either of the other two configurations. (Note all hardware is identical,
except the hard drives in all three systems.)
have u tried sfc /scannow?

R

Richard in AZ

R

Richard in AZ

Richard in AZ said:
I will try that and let you know the results. I do have the DVD.
The "repair startup" came back with "no errors found", but then the computer would not start even
after Safe Mode.
So I tried David's suggestion and ran 'sfc /scannow' from the safe mode. This also came back
without error.
After this run, the computer restarted from the safe mode, but my network connection would only
connect to my router and not past it to the Internet. Finally I did a 'system restore' to earlier
in the day when it was working and then I could boot and get the Internet. Thanks to both Brink
and David, but those suggestions did not seem to work.

I also ran a full diagnostics on the hard drive using the drive manufacturers software. Again, no
errors found.

If I can solve this in a week or so, I guess I will try a repair installation. Still hoping for an
alternate solution.

Ask a Question