Receiving a video source

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m a new contributor here and hope that somebody can help. Recently I bought a Shuttle PC with MCE05 installed and so far it’s doing most of what I need it for... except that I also have Sky+ and would like to use the PC (not necessarily the MCE bit) to archive programmes from the Sky+ box to DVD.

The problem is that the PC just doesn’t recognise that Sky is there (the two are connected via s-video and ‘line in’ for audio, and I’ve also tried composite but get the same result). The computer just behaves as it there’s nothing plugged in – I don’t get a video or audio signal.

The PC has an Athlon 64 AM2 dual core 4200+ processor, 1024Mb RAM and a 3D Fuzion Geforce 7600 GS 256Mb graphics card. The tuner card is a KWorld DVB-T100 PCI which has a number of connections including composite and s-video in. The diagram on the instruction manual (such as it is) shows it connected to a VCR and a games console, suggesting that it can receive analogue video (the tuner itself is a digital tuner and picks up the various freeview channels fine through rf-in).

I haven’t bought any software to capture video or burn DVDs as until I can get the PC to recognise a video source I don’t fancy shelling out, so I’ve been using MS Movie Maker and some Nero software that came with the machine. Both have an option to capture from s-video but can’t pick anything up.

I’ve downloaded the latest drivers from KWorld to no avail. Am I’m missing something? Does it need some sort of codecs installing to recognise video? I've begun to wonder why I didn’t spend half the amount and just get a decent DVD recorder!

The telephone help from the supplier has been just about useless and I either sort this out or send it back.

I’d appreciate your advice!

Thanks, Jim

Ask a Question