Ready to Take a Chance Again...


D

Daddy

Not unlike that old song by Barry Manilow, I'm 'ready to take a chance
again' with Office 2007. I won't take up the newsgroup's time with my petty
Office 2007 gripes It's the future, so I may as well get used to it.

Enough about that. My question has to do with the Compatibility Checker in
Word (and Excel) 2007. Call me grumpy, but I do not want to deal with this
when I save a file for the first time. Until my workplace updates to Office
2007, I will be saving files in 97-2003 format. Can I tell Word (and Excel)
2007 to quit popping up the Compatibility Checker message box? Perhaps if I
tell Word that I intend to use 97-2003 format as default?

There's a way to do this for PowerPoint 2007...how about for Word?

Thanks for your help.

Daddy
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gordon

Daddy said:
Not unlike that old song by Barry Manilow, I'm 'ready to take a chance
again' with Office 2007. I won't take up the newsgroup's time with my
petty Office 2007 gripes It's the future, so I may as well get used to it.

Enough about that. My question has to do with the Compatibility Checker in
Word (and Excel) 2007. Call me grumpy, but I do not want to deal with this
when I save a file for the first time. Until my workplace updates to
Office 2007, I will be saving files in 97-2003 format. Can I tell Word
(and Excel) 2007 to quit popping up the Compatibility Checker message box?
Perhaps if I tell Word that I intend to use 97-2003 format as default?

There's a way to do this for PowerPoint 2007...how about for Word?

In Word do Office Button-Word Options (Bottom R/H side)-Save (on the L/H
pane) and set the default save to Word 97-2003 document using the drop-down
box.

HTH
 
D

Daddy

I just want to make sure I understand...If I tell Word that my default is to
save in 97-2003 format, I won't see the Compatibility Checker message box?

(And presumably, those features of Word 2007 that are not compatible with
97-2003 will not appear as choices in the ribbon?)

Daddy
 
G

Gordon

Daddy said:
I just want to make sure I understand...If I tell Word that my default is
to save in 97-2003 format, I won't see the Compatibility Checker message
box?

Can't guarantee that! (I don't know - I'm sure someone will provide the
answer!)

(And presumably, those features of Word 2007 that are not compatible with
97-2003 will not appear as choices in the ribbon?)

Nope - the ribbon is not customizable so it won't change.
 
D

Daddy

"Don't get derailed by Office 2007 compatibility issues"
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/?p=135

"Office 2007 programs introduce a new feature called compatibility
mode...you can ensure that the files you create in Office 2007 don't contain
any features that aren't supported by the previous version of the Office
program."

"If you place your Office 2007 applications in compatibility mode,
incompatible features...won't be available to you. Instead, you'll use the
[tools] from Office 2003 ..."

Daddy
 
G

Gordon

Daddy said:
"Don't get derailed by Office 2007 compatibility issues"
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/?p=135

"Office 2007 programs introduce a new feature called compatibility
mode...you can ensure that the files you create in Office 2007 don't
contain any features that aren't supported by the previous version of the
Office program."

"If you place your Office 2007 applications in compatibility mode,
incompatible features...won't be available to you. Instead, you'll use the
[tools] from Office 2003 ..."

Glad it's worked out OK...
 
Ad

Advertisements

E

Echo S

If you go to Office Button | Prepare | Run Compatibility Checker, it opens
the Compat Checker dialog -- and you can just uncheck the option to "check
compatibility when savign in Word 97-2003 formats."

This makes it so that, even when you set your default "save as" format to
97-2003, you won't see the compat checker message box.

You can do this in Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007.

--
Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com
What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm
Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd
PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/32a7nx
Enter the Create a Spark Presentation Contest here!
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/FX102395221033.aspx
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top