Windows 7 Ready Boost Limit?

Reaction score
I'm using a 16GB USB Flash Drive for Ready boost in Windows7 Pro.
But the max i seem to be able to use is 4094MB & the drive is clean with nothing on it?
Any reason for this as i've had a look at google & at ms's site.

Argh just found the reason it uses upto 4GB

Last edited:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
one has to format the flash drive as NTFS or exFAT in order to use more than 4 GB of space for caching because FAT16 and FAT32 impose file size limit of 2 and 4 GB respectively.

Source

A bit more to read on the MSDN Blogs. I know it says Vista, but same thing as Windows 7

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm using a 16GB USB Flash Drive for Ready boost in Windows7 Pro.
Why?

Do you already have 4gig Ram?

Is the card superdooper fast, like 0.20ms access time?

Most flash sticks will give you read/write speeds, but these are averages. This means that one part of the stick might be higher, and another lower ... many 'high speed' sticks actually have one segment of lightning fast memory, and the rest is slow. Another problem, is, these are sustained speeds ... readyboost requires much smaller read/write access ... which means that a device that responds in 1.2 ms, and then reads at 300 MB/s simply will not work ... no matter how fast its listed read speed is.

Hey, I'm not trying to ruin every ones parade here, but I think this myth that 'readyboost' is a numerical 'go-faster-stripe' is a oxymoron ... if you got a 'shop bought' entry lvl laptop, then I'm sure, as they traditionally use slow HDs, you will see an improvement.

Much of the confusion as to how well readyboost works seems to be because there hasn't been any credible source doing any reliable benchmarks using well spec'd flash cards.

Once you get into the realm of 4GB, there is really no advantage to ready boost at all, and it can, in fact, slow down your system. This isn't me ****ing on your parade, this is Microsoft's word on it.

:user:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ask a Question