Reading multi-part MIME encoded emails in OUTLOOK 2003

HarryB

Broadcast-type emails to employees relayed from an exchange server show in
my Outlook with the header and all the raw encoding info for the message
format included in the body of the message. If the message includes an
incorporated attachment that attachment is displayed in what looks like
uuencoded form in the middle of the format coding info. I have only had this
problem since I installed Outlook 2003 on a new machine running Vista,
although in searching for info on this problem I found similar threads in
2004 and 2005 under XP. None of those threads led to resolution of the
problem. Any ideas on what settings I need to change in Outlook to have
these messages displayed normally?

Brian Tillman

HarryB said:
Broadcast-type emails to employees relayed from an exchange server
show in my Outlook with the header and all the raw encoding info for
the message format included in the body of the message. If the
message includes an incorporated attachment that attachment is
displayed in what looks like uuencoded form in the middle of the
format coding info. I have only had this problem since I installed
Outlook 2003 on a new machine running Vista, although in searching
for info on this problem I found similar threads in 2004 and 2005
under XP. None of those threads led to resolution of the problem. Any
ideas on what settings I need to change in Outlook to have these
messages displayed normally?

The first thing you need to check is that there are absolutely no scanners
or filters of any klind between the various route points in the path the
message takes. I find Outlook to be quite inflexible when it comes to
interpreting the data stream and anything that might interfere with the data
stream can lead to header interpretation failure because something seems out
of order or appears to be extra blank lines in the headers.

This problem has been reported many times on this forum over the last six
months.

The combo of outlook 2003 and Vista does not properly handle email with
"undisclosed recipients" (all addresees are BCC). The result is that the
email is delivered in a raw form, showing the text for the headers, the
message, and all attachments without any decoding. As a result, all
attachments are unreadable, and in many instances themessage is also
difficult to read.

Unfortunately, I can only further describe the problem to you. I have not
seen a solution or suggestion anywhere.

HarryB

Thank you for at least verifying exactly what I am seeing. I suspected that
the problem involved a Vista - Outlook 2003 interaction since I never had
that problem with the same Outlook 2003 under under WindowsXP on my old
computer. If this has been described enough times previously, perhaps a fix
will show up with Vista SP1.

HarryB

I have run some tests by sending the same email to two BCC addresses. One
was to an XP/Outlook2003 machine, and one to a Vista/Outlook2003 machine.
The XP machine was fine, the Vista machine was not decoded. Both machines
were "side by side", behind the same firewall, and both also running Norton
Internet Security 2008. (I am not totally convinced that some piece of
Norton isn't contributing to this -- although I have tested with Norton
"turned off").

HarryB

I've never had Norton software on my computers, so in my case at least it
can't be implicated.

When i had Norton Anti-virus I never had this problem at all. I use Telus
now and have many emails that arrive in Mime gobbledygook and I can't read
them. Also, I have Windows XP, not Vista. I also cannot get an explanation
anywhere on how to handle this situation.
Christine B

Brian Tillman

ChristineB said:
When i had Norton Anti-virus I never had this problem at all. I use
Telus now and have many emails that arrive in Mime gobbledygook and I
can't read them. Also, I have Windows XP, not Vista. I also cannot
get an explanation anywhere on how to handle this situation.

The first thing you should do it disable any scanning of your mail by your
antivirus program. It's unnecessary and can cause problems. That won't
likely fix a message that's already damaged, but it may help new messages
that arrive.

Henning A

Is there any solution to this problem, or am I going to go back to my XP-machine to get mails?

ps. I hope this comes in the right forum.

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

In as much as you haven't defined the problem, I doubt anyone can help solve
it.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (e-mail address removed)
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

Henninga

Yeah Hal - you are right.
I receive some news mail in Outlook 2003 that looks like pure HTML code.
The code telling it's a MIME with the following included:
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

I am running Windows Vista Bussiness and office 2003 Pro.
How can I get correct looking messages??

/Henning

Henninga

OK - I found that I have to get the HotFix from Microsoft KB951982.
Or I can wait untill next update where the fix will be included. Wonder when
this will be since the hotfix was made by Microsoft April 22. and now we're
writing June 27.

Read Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951982

To: undisclosed-recipients:;

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" skrev:
In as much as you haven't defined the problem, I doubt anyone can help solve
it.
Hal

Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]

If time is an issue, you can certainly call Microsoft Product Support on the
phone and get it. Microsoft routinely cancels any/all support call charges
when the call is to get a supported hotfix from a KB article.

Hal
--

To: undisclosed-recipients:;