Read-only on USB

The problem:
I have a usb stick (Sandisk U3 Cruzer mini) on which I've saved several
files in a variety of folders. Now, I want to delete some of those files and
folders, but am unable to do so.

Attempting to disable read-only on the folders is useless, and research on
the internet found that having folders set as "read-only" is expected
behaviour and doesn't prevent them from being manipulated.

However, I am unable to deleted any folder (trying to do so results in no
change). Trying to delete the files inside the folders (which are NOT set as
"read-only") has the file disappear from the explorer window, but re-appears
when the window is refreshed.

Other solutions on the web involved changing the user permissions via Disk
X: -> Properties ->Security tab. However, as a removable drive, there is no
security tab available.

Would anybody happen to know how I could delete those files?

Additional System info:
I use Vista Home Premium
Previously accessed those files from computers using Windows XP and Gentoo
Linux.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
After taking ownership, you still need to acquire permissions.
From the same elevated CMD prompt you need to run something like this.
Icacls.exe filename /grant username:(F)
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]